• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Yippee my Wolverine sharpening stystem is here

But I'm not happy with the DVD as it has no sound. It only had sound on the section about honing and such but that is all. So when I get it to my shop and set up I will use the instruction manual to set it up. I think I'm going to be happy with it instead of the wooden one I built. Have a look.... Oh yes, the big platform is under that white cardboard. I took it out and it slipped out of my hand on the glass table top.. Thank God that did not break.....Fay

Attachments

• Wolverine Sharpening System-1 (640x480).jpg
    Wolverine Sharpening System-1 (640x480).jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 82
  • The Veri-GRind Tool-2 (640x480).jpg
    The Veri-GRind Tool-2 (640x480).jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 77
  • The Box Opened-3 (640x480).jpg
    The Box Opened-3 (640x480).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 75
Good to go - remember - once you have the bevel set to the wheel, you can almost let the weight of the gouge sharpen it. Light pressure - saves wheels & gouges.

Tony

Thanks every one. The sound problem could very well be my surround sound system. Some times I can't get the sound to come up but I will try watching it again and if the trouble is still there, then I will contact them and let them know that the disc didn't have any sound. Never had any problems with that before. It's usually little sound at all and me being deaf doesn't help any. But the first program I watched on it, the sound was very nice and that was only on the honing and such and not the rest. It's possible my machine might need to be cleaned or the disc could be the problem. Either way I hope I can debunk it.... Looking forward to using this system.. Will be headed to my shop in a week or so and I'll get it all set up and I'm sure I will be happy with it.. Will let you know.. Fay

;););) I found out why I could not get any sound on the DVD. My surround sound system needed cleaning! I put the DVD in my computer and watched it there and it was great and I could hear it fine. Very interesting. Only thing is , it didn't have any onscreen directions on the set up but I can handle it just from reading the manual on the set up.. I know I will be happy with this tool.. Fay

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Website
woodbowlsandthings.wordpress.com
WOLVERINE System

Hi again Fay. IMHO this is the start of the best sharpening system out there. If you add Robo Hippy's indexed platform instead of the one from Oneway, the system is hard to beat unless of course you can eventually add CBN wheels. I now keep a chart of angles and tools under the platform and can repeat any angle in a matter of seconds. Repeatability is in my opinion, the the very heart of sharpening. The ability to quickly sharpen tools made turning WAY more fun for me.

Thank you John and Odie.. I enjoyed those instructions and ideas. I'm sure getting a lot of good education from you all. I think those raptor thingies are a bit too expensive for my taste. I have a little bevel thing that I can use to see what angle the bevels are on my tools and I had been thinking of writing down what tool it is and what the bevel is and such. I think I'm going to much happier with this rather than the wooden one I built. Thanks again for all of the ideas and such Fay Peter I did download a chart thing for some of the grinding and I will print it out and laminate it and keep it by the grider at all times. It'll also be of help on the grinding and stuff.

Last edited:
One more suggestion. There are many ways to set up the varigrind jig (and you REALLY don't want to get the folks here discussing what changing this or that adjustment does to the grind. ;) )
I recommend you decide on ONE method and stick with it until you're comfortable using the Wolverine system. Kirk DeHeer has a solid way of setting things up and a DVD that expresses it, available at Craft Supplies. Doug Thompson has a different way of setting things up, and his works well, too. Doug is at Thompsonlathetools.com and has a one page instruction sheet you can download. Oneway had a different method, but having heard that the Oneway method is poorly explained or hard to set up, I only briefly looked at the instructions that came with the Wolverine and disregarded them.

Great system, highly recommended.

Back