• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Happy New Year! 365 days = 365 opportunities!

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
A NEW YEAR for many woodturning opportunities....

Best Wishes for a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2015!!

I hope to see you in Pittsburgh at the AAW Symposium ! ! :D

And remember.......

TURN SAFELY ! ! !

ditto to all those things said to our extended family. Spent the last 2 afternoons and early evening relaxing by turning-they all look great -so far!!! Gretch

Yes, Happy New Year to all! :D

When I was a kid, even 2000 seemed like such a long ways into the future.......now, my kids think I'm a dinosaur!

Retirement is beginning today!

ko

Congrats-was thinking it was today. What's you do to celebrate???? Turn something?????:DGretch

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Congrats-was thinking it was today. What's you do to celebrate???? Turn something?????:DGretch

Welcome to the Jurassic period. Happy new year everybody.

Thanks Bill and Gretch.......:D

Gretch......Yes, I did turn a bowl today! This is a very special piece of Australian Jarrah burl wood. It is such a rare and special piece of wood that I was afraid I'd ruin it the whole time! Turned out ok though. I'll be posting a glimpse of it in my thread in the "How-Tos, Tips, and Techniques" shortly. For me, this bowl is a celebration of this day.....:D

ko

Last edited:
Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Welcome to the Jurassic period. Happy new year everybody.

The problem about being in the Jurassic Period is that as we count down the years of the Mesozoic, we'll also have to anticipate the impending asteroid impact, and the cataclysmic results of the subsequent mass extinction event that all groups of organisms on Earth will go through. I think I can pretty safely say that my Robust American Beauty lathe will come through the asteroid crash pretty well - although I don't know how much of an impact (pun intended) it will have on the diversity of woodturning stock available to the turners that survive the episode. Better save up some wood for the first 2-5 million years following the event so you'll have something to turn while waiting for post-extinction recovery.

Rob

Back