• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Making lazy Susans

Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
I have had quite a few customers ask me to make Dining room lazy Susan's. I have never made any and was wondering if any one who has actual experience making these can give me a few tips as to where to get the hardware/type that run quiet & smooth for a decent price. I ordered a few lazy Susan bearings and had to send them back because they were so loud and noisy (steel bearings) I believe I need the aluminum type bearing. I have learned that I can benefit from others experience if I just ask. Thanks for any advice you can give me from your own experiences. :)

Breck. Go for the Lee Valley - if you can justify the cost!!
I think you will find that the bearings are STEEL!

The regular ones with pressed steel cages may be noisy but is it a big deal? They hardly move in use.

I've also built dozens and dozens when a cabinet maker
If you don't want to be bound to a specific size, then I would highly recommend using either;
Nylon Drive in housing, Surface Roller , or Martini Roller

I have used all 3 and prefer these over the swivels you buy that are dedicated sizes ......
you can get all kinds of lazy susan hardware from the following page:

http://www.hardwaretree.com/products.php?cat=71

Hope that also helps you a bit :)

I've also built dozens and dozens when a cabinet maker
If you don't want to be bound to a specific size, then I would highly recommend using either;
Nylon Drive in housing, Surface Roller , or Martini Roller

I have used all 3 and prefer these over the swivels you buy that are dedicated sizes ......
you can get all kinds of lazy susan hardware from the following page:

http://www.hardwaretree.com/products.php?cat=71

Hope that also helps you a bit :)

Neat stuff Jerry. Very adaptable, & affordable!

Thanks Ron, I get all my swivel supplies from those guys

I should also mention, for dining room , kitchen, etc these would be perfect as you can mount as you want,
they'll handle up to 80 pounds, and you can recess into bottom plate & top platter so gap between the 2 are minimal (I've went as small as 3/16" gap) .....
if doing something for a television, or heavier objects, then you'll need the steel swivels as they can handle up to 250 pounds.

am currently doing a segmented lazy susan, chip & dip, with a center segmented bowl for the chips that can be removed
am using the nylon drive roller balls, 6 of them for a 17" diameter platter with a wood peg for a center pin, leaving 1/4" between platter and bottom,
and as Ron says, cost is very minimal for the hardware ;)

Back