• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Is there a limit on number of photos that can be in your own album??

Does anyone actually administer this forum? I have sent 2 emails to the administrator with no reply at all. No acknowledgement.... Nothing. I hesitated to post this here, but I posted a similar message on the AAW info forum and got no response there either.

I tried to upload a couple images to the gallery a couple weeks ago and got back a message that I am over my limit for disc space and that I need to delete some images before I can post anything. I was unaware of any limitations like that, and can't find any information regarding limitations on the website. So message I got said that you can delete some photos to free up space so you can post. I started by deleting a few pics, still no go. I then deleted a bunch of pics and am still not able to post new work. You would think that deleting 20 pics would free enough space to upload 2. I have never seen this message before and am not sure if I am the only one seeing it. To top it off, I can see no way to delete multiple pictures from your album and it takes 6 or 7 actions to remove just one. VERY user unfriendly.

Website
jpseyfried.com
When I go to the upload page it shows a limit for disk space (10,000kb) and a 256kb file size limit. But I don't see where you are limited in how many can be in your gallery other than a 4 per day. I thought that there was a difference (in disk space) if you were an AAW member but I don't see information on that, I may be confusing that with another site.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Michael, please check your PM folder. James is correct about the limits. Also, check the rules and FAQs on posting images. In addition to a maximum file size, there is also a limit on image dimensions. Check the file size to see if it is larger than the max allowed. I don't know who you sent your email messages to, but it wasn't me. The best way to contact a moderator or the admin is by PM. The AAW Information gallery is for posting AAW related matter and not forum questions. Posting yor question in a thread is not an effective means of communicating with a mod or admin. None of us get paid to read read every thread. I can't answer your question about your difficulty in deleting images. If memory serves me correctly, you ought to be able to do it in two clicks.

naked or not

I have gone over my limit for disk space (10,000kb), several times, but I just delete pictures from album that are the oldest, and once I go to that picture it only takes 2 clicks. I see that some celebratees post naked pictures of themselves to the cloud or someplace, and they get upset when it is hacked, but the woodturning pictures are open to the public anyway, naked or not.

Bill, you should be proud of your naked bowls, maybe you could have a special place on the gallery for the nakediness.......

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I've had to delete photos several times, because I was over limit. I think it depends on how big your pictures are, and that determines how many you can post. Bill could tell you more about that. My limit is around 115 or 120 photos before I get the "over limit" message. That was before the forum updates. For awhile, I had unlimited photos after the forum update, and a week ago I got the "over limit" message again. At that point, I had about 140 photos, but I think these new limitations has something to do with new forum updates kicking in.......

I ended up deleting a lot of older photos, and picking out the best photos of those I had more than two photos of one bowl. Last time I checked, I had eighty something photos, and if things are as they were on the old forum, it should be back to around 115 to 120, or so.

Most of my photos are taken at around 1200x1200, or so. I crop many photos, so many are a little smaller, but no bigger than 1200x1200.

ooc

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Getting back on topic .....

Michael, if you haven't sent a PM to Steve Worcester giving your name and AAW member number, I would recommend it as a great membership. benefit that enables you to post larger images and have more disk space available. Have you been able to identify anything on your end such as file size that could be the reason for the images not uploading. If you still have one of the email messages, could you forward it to me.

Michael, this is listed in the Rules for the Forum:

Photo limits:
Each photo is currently limited to 250kb (but registered AAW members are allowed single photos up to 2MB )and 1920x1920 pixels in size
Photos may be jpg or gif, but jpg shows picture quality better.
Each member is limited to 10MB (AAW members 25MB) , members may remove and replace older photos to display more recent work. Animated pictures are prohibited.
Maximum 4 photos per day, maximum two views of a work, unless photo editing software is used to compose a composite image of multiple views.

I would like to reiterate Bill's comments: the best way to reach a moderator is to PM them. Please give us the opportunity to solve the problem before it necessitates a rant on the Forum.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Does anyone actually administer this forum? I have sent 2 emails to the administrator with no reply at all. No acknowledgement.... Nothing. I hesitated to post this here, but I posted a similar message on the AAW info forum and got no response there either.

I tried to upload a couple images to the gallery a couple weeks ago and got back a message that I am over my limit for disc space and that I need to delete some images before I can post anything. I was unaware of any limitations like that, and can't find any information regarding limitations on the website. So message I got said that you can delete some photos to free up space so you can post. I started by deleting a few pics, still no go. I then deleted a bunch of pics and am still not able to post new work. You would think that deleting 20 pics would free enough space to upload 2. I have never seen this message before and am not sure if I am the only one seeing it. To top it off, I can see no way to delete multiple pictures from your album and it takes 6 or 7 actions to remove just one. VERY user unfriendly.

While you did join in 2007, so I will take the hit in this, your weren't coded as an AAW member. That is an extra step I would have had to take back then, or the photo limit was instituted and we didn't go back and check who was or wasn't. On a side note , the AAW database and the forums are not lined so there is no automatic "you're in", it is a manual process.

I am the forum admin, if you have an issue, email steve@turningwood.com. I have asked for several "fixes" since taking over for John, but that one is still vexing me.

On a brighter note, I have set you as an AAW member and your photo limit should now be at 10MB.

When the forum was updated awhile back, the photo gallery was not setup to limit anyone. I took it upon myself (it's my job, I guess) and re-instituted those limits. My guess is you will not be the last person to comment on this, and remember we (the three Musketeers) are all volunteers for the AAW.

Keep calm, turn wood, and upload more photos.

Last edited:
Sorry for the rant, but

I thought I had tried the appropriate places for this and got nowhere. I did not realize that the moderators were the folks to talk to. I kind of thought there were there to police the boards for inappropriate posts and the like and there was some internet techie that did the nuts and bolt stuff for the AAW. I did find a link to contact admin that brought up an email message box. I thought this was the appropriate way to get through to the folks who could make things happen, or understood why things seemed to have changed. Now I realize what probably happened and understand a little better the structure behind the forum. Sorry if I bent anyone's feathers. Like I said, I did try to figure this out through PM (to an unknown admin) and by posting on what I thought was a little more appropriate board. I only resorted to posting this here because I got no response at all from my previous attempts.

I have been an AAW member since 1991, and just figured that I would be getting the full benefits of my membership. Did not really realize that the forum did not understand that I have always been an AAW member since long before the forums were thought of and that I needed to inform someone of this. That strikes me as a bit odd. Seems like a pretty easy thing to link the privileges to the AAW database, but I'm no techie, so I could be wrong.

I certainly did not mean to dis any of the moderators, as I do appreciate their efforts, especially since they are doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. I guess it was really my misunderstanding of the quirks of this forum.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I am glad that things are finally squared away and you are able to contribute more images to the gallery without the need to delete existing images. It will help to pick a reasonable image size for web use which is generally much smaller than what you would need if printing. Some software such as Photoshop and Lightroom allow you to "Save for web ..." which essentially uses deeper JPG compression than your highest quality images along with stripping most of the metadata. Cropping to a reasonable size to fit a browser window is also a good idea.

What might seem reasonable or easy to accomplish in software often is not the case if you consider all of the details that must be dealt with. The forum is a separate entity from the AAW main site and the forum does not have the same level of security that the main site does. Sharing personal data about AAW membership should not be taken lightly. Many, if not most forum members are not AAW members. The forum had been operating for many years when the new rule was created that gave additional privileges to AAW members. The task to somehow parse the forum membership rolls in software while ensuring the security of membership information is far from a trivial task.

Last edited:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
An obvious typo as the limit is 25 MB for AAW members.

Yup, what you said.

I did update the file size for NON-MEMBERS to 500K. Members get 2000KB file sizes (2MB, sort of)

Back