• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Shop Vac vs Dust Collector

I am just curious. Do you find it better to use your Dust Collector with a barrel in between the hose and collector to pick up shavings from the floor or a Shop Vac.

Rich

Well, on a long turning day, I can crank out 100 gallons of shavings. Much easier to scoop up with a shovel and put into plastic bags than to suck up in the collector and empty the DC. The collector is good for very small stuff from dust to small chips from box turning, or I guess pens. Having a 2 stage system is great. Mostly anything that gets sucked up into the hose drops down into the can before it goes through the fan blades. I bent the blades on my old 1 hp DC many times before I got a centralized system with a cyclone.

robo hippy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Well, on a long turning day, I can crank out 100 gallons of shavings. Much easier to scoop up with a shovel and put into plastic bags than to suck up in the collector and empty the DC. The collector is good for very small stuff from dust to small chips from box turning, or I guess pens. Having a 2 stage system is great. Mostly anything that gets sucked up into the hose drops down into the can before it goes through the fan blades. I bent the blades on my old 1 hp DC many times before I got a centralized system with a cyclone. robo hippy

-:). The only reasonable use for a snow shovel if you have the right latitude. :)

We shovel the chips and collect the sanding dust and bandsaw etc.

When my lathe was in the basement shop I used a shovel and a 30 gallon can. Dust was cleaned with a hose on the DC system. Since I moved the lathe to the garage, dust and shavings collection is done with a leaf blower :D

BTW Wet shavings will rather quickly clog a DC blower and 4" ducts. The barrel separator may help avoid this, but the shovel will most definitely do so. ;)

Last edited:
I have been using a trashcan with a lee valley 'Veritas Cyclone lid for a number of years.
It goes between the dust collector ( a Jet 650 ) and the flex hose I use for collection and cleanup.
I do not generate huge piles of debris but I do shovel up wet shavings and chips if there is enough to bother with.
The plastic collector bag of the dust collector has about 6 inches of dust after a bunch of years.
The trash can gets emptied when it is 1/2 full, a couple of times a year.

The only downside that I see in the cyclone is a small loss of suction. I use it as point source collection so I drag the hose where I need it.
Works for me.

Having the pleated filter unit is a big plus. Do not mess around with cloth filter bags. Sometimes new is better.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
My shop is the great outdoors so I just blow everything into the neighbors yard. :rolleyes:

Seriously, just one piece of wood creates enough shavings to fill a 30 gallon trash bag so I just scoop it up at the end of the day and fill the trash bags directly as Robo does -- it is the easiest way. Then I use my air hose to blow all the dust off my lathe and tools before wheeling everything back into the shop. What's left blows into the neighbors yard by the prevailing winds. Don't blame me, Mother Nature did it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the tips. It really helps having input from knowledgeable people here on the forum.

I have been sweeping into a large plastic scoop style with standup handle plastic dust pan that I got at Home Depot for the wood shavings. Then there are some sporadic pieces here and there along with dust that I was trying to figure out if I should just use my dust collector with separator and the 4" vacuum head and extension or get a good shop vac for that purpose. I have a very small shop vac that I use for occasional work I do around the house.

Rich

for me, larger piles of shaving get scooped up and put in a 40 gal trash container, when full, gets delivered to city landscapers for mulching around town
In turn, they stop by monthly with truckload of wood, and my option to have any I want.
Rest of shavings & dust gets picked up by my dust collector.
Have tried contractors version shop vac and it just couldn't keep up, and if you use the bags, it gets expensive.
I finally just quit using the bags, and dumped into garbage can.
Running joke in neighborhood, my shop gets vacuumed more in 1 day, than most houses on block get vacuumed in a week :D

Biggest problem with shop being in garage, if you don't keep up with the dust/shavings, it gets tracked all thru the house, meaning double the work :(

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
for me, larger piles of shaving get scooped up and put in a 40 gal trash container, when full, gets delivered to city landscapers for mulching around town In turn, they stop by monthly with truckload of wood, and my option to have any I want. Rest of shavings & dust gets picked up by my dust collector. Have tried contractors version shop vac and it just couldn't keep up, and if you use the bags, it gets expensive. I finally just quit using the bags, and dumped into garbage can. Running joke in neighborhood, my shop gets vacuumed more in 1 day, than most houses on block get vacuumed in a week :D Biggest problem with shop being in garage, if you don't keep up with the dust/shavings, it gets tracked all thru the house, meaning double the work :(

Jerry you have a great setup.
:). A public service shredder chipper. :)

Shop location is a consideration.
In Maryland ours was in the basement.
We now have the luxury of a separate building about 75 feet from the garage entrance to the house.

LOL Al, have been looking at back yard figuring how large of a building I could put there and move shop outdoors
but don't think the dog would take too kindly to me occupying his space as he loves letting neighbors know it's his yard and they better stay out :D

he loves letting neighbors know it's his yard and they better stay out :D

The neighbors probably "love" him as well. We had a neighbor with a dog like that. Constant warnings to "stay away.":rolleyes:

Given the number of complaints, the cops finally gave them 3 choices: Keep a working Bark Collar on him. Keep him inside. Give up the dog.

Not sure which they chose, but a peaceful "hood" resulted.

LOL Mark, he isn't like that
usually you don't know he's there, but when the "kids" next door poke their head over the wall
or there's strange noises, he's telling them he's watching them ;)
Never any complaints, and yessir, all the neighbors do love him........
he's a nosy SOB, and captain of neighborhood watch ;)

I pulled my grizzly bag systems blower off and installed it in the attic. Then direct the discharge into a little trailer. Then just vac. the shavings up like a vacuum. Works great.

Website
woodbowlsandthings.wordpress.com
Shop Vac

I use a few year old dust collector. I have cut a piece of 4" plastic pipe on about a 60 degree angle and have added it to the end of my4" hose. I then use a bungie cord to hold it to the back of my lathe when I want it. Easy and quick to change position and works great especially when sanding in reverse.

LOL Mark, he isn't like that
usually you don't know he's there, but when the "kids" next door poke their head over the wall
or there's strange noises, he's telling them he's watching them ;)
Never any complaints, and yessir, all the neighbors do love him........
he's a nosy SOB, and captain of neighborhood watch ;)

Glad to hear that. A good watch dog can be an asset as well as a loyal family member.

Hate to see anyone loose a pet, but the animal must also be a "good citizen". The Supremes haven't yet gone so far as to give 1st Amendment rights to actual dogs.:D

Back