• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Compressed Air

I was thinking about running a line from my air compressor to the area by my lathe. Do you still have to use galvanized pipe or can you use some type of PVC. My other thought as I really don't want to run galvanized pipe up the wall, over the ceiling and down the wall is to get an inexpensive compressor to set next to my lathe. Harbor Freight has a 3 Gallon 100 PSI pancake compressor on sale for 49.99. I would be using it to blow shavings from bowls, hollow form, my lathe, etc. I wouldn't be running any power tools with it. By the way are oil lubricated compressors quite a bit quieter than oilless.

Rich

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The oilless type used to be loud enough to wake the dead, but I have been told that they are quieter now. I'm sure that the oiled type are still a lot quieter based on some of the pancake and hot dog units that I have heard and still seem awfully loud to me. I would like to preserve what hearing that I still have so I use a two cylinder oiled type.

I was thinking about running a line from my air compressor to the area by my lathe. Do you still have to use galvanized pipe or can you use some type of PVC. My other thought as I really don't want to run galvanized pipe up the wall, over the ceiling and down the wall is to get an inexpensive compressor to set next to my lathe. Harbor Freight has a 3 Gallon 100 PSI pancake compressor on sale for 49.99. I would be using it to blow shavings from bowls, hollow form, my lathe, etc. I wouldn't be running any power tools with it. By the way are oil lubricated compressors quite a bit quieter than oilless.

Rich

NEVER NEVER use PVC pipe for air lines. It's prohibited by OSHA due to the risk of fracture sending shrapnel flying. I used 1/2" copper for my air plumbing. You can, of course, use Use an extra 50' of air hose.

You won't enjoy being around a HF oil-less compressor.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I just used rubber hoses designed for air compressors. Figured I would do that until I going a permanent place for the compressor. That was 8 years ago and I'm still using them. Maybe some day In a future shop I will go with copper but this has worked

+1 on air hose. Inexpensive, reliable and easy to bend. I used 1/2" emt conduit clips to secure.

The Case For Copper

Any air-pipe system will accumulate condensed water and will need to be drained from time-to-time. Rigid pipe like copper (or galvanized steel) can be set up and installed with a slope and drip legs to keep those lines as dry as possible. Water in the air lines will ruin air-tools in short order and will play havoc with sprayed finishes. Drip legs and drains collect the condensed water as seen here
air-2.jpg to prevent it from going further. Every air system that doesn't employ expensive drying and condensing equipment, will have water collecting in the storage tank and lines. Flexible air lines (Rapid Air or just air hoses) are fine but they will still need to be installed so as to allow draining the condensed water; simply using the air will not do this.

I've got a 5 HP 80gal Ingersoll Rand, hard piped it to the shut off valve, water separator, and pressure regulator
Then I just run a 50' air hose to wherever I need it in the shop .....
Works perfect for my shop needs, and runs any tools I have to without the waiting for tank to refill ......
Have tried smaller pancake and tank compressors, spent more time waiting for compressor to refill than doing actual work
(I run pneumatic orbital sanders) and now I don't wait for anything

black iron pipe for air lines
way cheaper than copper
safer than plastic
commonly used for natural and LP gas lines
and air lines in repair shops ect ect

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
4hp CH 80gallon compressor. Two lines, both with rubber utility hoses. One goes to the lathe and has an inline water separator. This one is used for blow air and air powered tools. The other is strictly for blow air in the shop.....sometimes for tire pressure on vehicles.

Never any problems with this set-up but did have to constantly fight water in the rubber hose lines when I had a Craftsman 2hp 20gal compressor. I think the difference is the constant starting and stopping the smaller compressor was subjected to.

ooc

Attachments

• compressor  80gal 4hp.jpg
    compressor 80gal 4hp.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 15

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I plumbed my shop with "Rapid Air" . I can connect air hose at three locations. I think Grizzly carries it, I got mine from Amazon.

Regardless of the compressor, Rapidair is a great way to run from the compressor to the end point. You can now get it from Harbor Frieght , but the HF clone is crap. For that product don't accept the clones

Back