• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

1 1/4 x 8 bolts

Website
www.syzygywoodworks.com
I want to build a clamp incorporating a 1 1/4 x 8 bolt so that I can screw my chuck onto it. 1 1/4 x 8 does not seem to be a standard size. I've googled the world wide web and can't find a source. Does anyone know where I can buy a 1 1/4 x 8 bolt? Thanks in advance.

If you don't mind a 5/8" diameter plain shaft with a 1-1/4"x8 tpi portion at the top, try the Veritas chuck/faceplate adapter for US$12.95 from Lee Valley. It's made to fit their carving vise. Here's the link:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=58760&cat=1,330,49238&ap=1

If you are making the vise anyway, I would think you could design the vise to make this work. If you have a Jet mini lathe around, the shaft will fit nicely into its toolrest holder (aka banjo), and this can be somewhat useful for carving that can be done with the piece upright. I bought the 1"x8tpi version when all I had was my Jet.

Regards,
John

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
You can buy the bolts and nuts at a lot of places but may have to have them order them for you. I bought some from Fastenal and from a local Bearing supply house.
You can get All-thread rod and nuts from www.mscdirect.com

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Kieth

not sure what you are building.
if you can use wood instead of bolts it is easy to cut threads on wood using a faceplate as a die.

a slight taper on the wood and you can cut threads. a little wax helps.
screw on and off. each "on" cuts a bit more thread. A big face plate or a smaller one screwed to a 2x4 give you more leverage.

I made a threaded vacuum holding device using purple heart.
I can screw a chuck on this to hold things for carving or a vacuum chuck on to hold something with vacuum.

-Al

I forget exactly where Palm Coast is, but you can find Fastenal locations by zip code, or City & State. I just got 10 locations in Florida. ( http://www.fastenal.com/web/locations.ex ). They'd likely be the only ones with retail quantities in that size. Otherwise, the sources already shown, plus Enco. Oh, and everybody still have telephones, too. :D

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!

Attachments

• 1way-revolv-adapter.jpg
    1way-revolv-adapter.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 19
Website
www.syzygywoodworks.com
Thank you very much for all the advice! You've given me plenty of options :D

I forgot I have a 1 x 8 insert for my chuck as well, so using a 1 x 8 bolt is also an option.

Al, thank you for answering a question I hadn't asked. I've also been looking around for a 1 1/4 x 8 or 1 x 8 die. I didn't think about using a faceplate. I will give that a try. I am making a carving vise, so using a threaded wooden rod is an option.

Thanks again everybody.

carving stands

yes, I make those things and call them carving stands, on the theory that you can hold the item on a faceplate or chuck and screw it onto the threaded part and place the machined unthreaded part into the banjo on your lathe. my site is www.wbnoble.com, I think finding the stuff there is pretty easy - since making the things is a hobby for me, I don't have all that fancy shopping cart stuff, you have to email me if you find something you like. You will find faceplates there too, I weld them up to order - after a few thousand, I've found that my welding skills have gotten a lot better.

happy turning

Website
www.docwks.com
My local Ace Hardware in Longwood has 1 x 8 and 1 1/4 x 8 bolts and nuts. I've used them to make jigs for Projects, but I don't use them on the lathe as the balance can be tricky to get right.

Back