• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Wassail Bowl 2019
Kalia Kliban

Wassail Bowl 2019

Elm. Exterior dimensions are 16" wide by 12-5/8" tall. Finished with organic flaxseed oil. 15 quart capacity.

This is a 3-part construction, with the bowl, stem and base connected with tenons and 2-ton epoxy.

What's a wassail bowl, you ask? Wassail is a drink, a hot winter punch commonly made with beer, brandy, sherry, spiced sugary syrup and frothy beaten eggs. I know it sounds weird, but it's delicious. Wassailing is an English tradition in which you go from house to house and sing outside in hopes of getting the hosts to invite you in for a drink. Depending on your local tradition either the hosts have their own bowl of delicious wassail to share or the wassailers carry their own bowl with them and each house would pour a bit of something into the mix. I definitely prefer the former. The wassailing tradition is alive and well in our neck of the woods. It's basically a mix of caroling and trick-or-treat, for grown-ups.

Contemporary wassail bowls tend to be whatever enormous wooden bowl is available (those huge maple bowls from Williams-Sonoma actually work pretty well), but this bowl is based on the more traditional English bowls from the 1700s and 1800s, which almost always had a stem and base. They often had lids as well, which is handy if you're tromping through the snow and don't want wassail down the front of your coat. In this case the bowl will likely stay put on the table, so no lid was necessary.
Beautifully done. Looks regal!

Interesting tradition! I’m guessing wall thickness is important for the impending “wobbly walk” home! Nice job!

Real nice. I am planning some salad bowls along this line. What do you use to connect the 3 pieces, epoxy or wood glue?

Real nice. I am planning some salad bowls along this line. What do you use to connect the 3 pieces, epoxy or wood glue?
Hi Kevin,
Sorry for the extremely slow reply. I've only just now seen your comment.
I used 2-Ton epoxy to connect the 3 pieces. The tenons were a snug fit and I discovered that I had to drill a very small hole through the long axis of the stem and also through the center of the base to allow the pressure to release. Otherwise the joints just kept popping apart. Of course I didn't find that out until the epoxy was on! I had some quick work to wipe things down, drill, reapply the epoxy and get it all back together.
There's a series of process shots about this piece on my Facebook page if you're interested:
You might see something that's useful for your own project, if it's not long past :>)

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Kalia Kliban
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device