• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Walnut Birch Award Cup form
Don Wattenhofer

Walnut Birch Award Cup form

This is the result of my request for design comments on the discussion forum. The staved segments are walnut and birch and the accent ring & lower base are segmented layers. The largest diameter is 8" and the overall height is 10".
I hate to say I told you so...but the line between the sections makes all the difference in the world.
Nice job!

This design is "exceptional" now, Don and just fantastic! Just proves what "adjustments" can do to make improvements stand out.

Wow night and day. I love the separation of what the walnut piece did from the first try to the finished one. But I’m not sure if the bottom piece was needed.good job.

@Glenn Lefley
The bottom walnut segmented layers were necessary to increase the base size plus it allowed a full half round cove in the stave segmented section of the base, which I believe helped to balance the form.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Don Wattenhofer
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device