• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Venus Box
brian horais

Venus Box

This twistable 3 inch tall box was turned from walnut and contains a 3D printed 'venus trap door' inside that opens and closes as the body of the wood turning is twisted. The 3D material is wood-based plastic (PLA) fiber that is sandable and can be stained. If you look at the thumbnail, you can see the lid in the closed position and an example of a 3D printed part similar to the interior pieces. The 3D printer cost only ~$200 (Creality Ender 3), not much more that a couple of good turning tools! Here's a link to the 3D printed part site for the interior mechanism:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1559232

Let me know what you think about this 'blending' of technologies. I've just begun to explore it
Well I for one really love the idea, and the implementation. Really a thought-provoking use of multiple disciplines to produce what is, to my mind, a piece that is both beautiful and functional. Really interesting and cool!

Mark, thanks for your comment. Sometimes when you join new approaches with different materials you get various reactions from the woodturning community. I was talking with a friend recently about using the wood/plastic 3D modeling/printing for woodturning applications and he commented that many people use colored resins to fill in voids/cracks, so why not use the wood plastics to make parts that could not otherwise be made....

Media information

Album
Twisted Turnings - Horais
Added by
brian horais
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device