• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Twisted Monkeypod Bowl
brian horais

Twisted Monkeypod Bowl

This 7-inch diameter bowl was turned from a dry block of Monkeypod provided by Emiliano Achaval from Maui. The top half was turned off-center using a 3-axis method to provide the twist. Note how the twist enhances the beautiful grain patterns in this wood. Emiliano was given the wood by his local church where the tree was planted by Saint Father Damien in front of the Nun's building, where Hawaii's other Saint lived: Saint Marianne Copp. Both of them walked by this tree for many years. Emiliano’s only request was that a turning be made with some of the wood and returned to him as a fundraiser for the church’s upcoming festival. I enjoyed turning this piece and will enjoy it for a few more weeks before sending it back to Maui. Thanks Emiliano!
I initially thought this wood was European Yew (that was the best guess from Emiliano). Kelly Dunn let me know that it is Monkeypod - hence the changes...

is the black a shadow....how is the light?
from above? unusual effect

@charlie knighton Thanks for the question Charlie. Yes, the black area is a shadow. I use a 'goose neck' LED light that is perched on a box near the turning. This allows me to bend the goose neck and project the light from above. For this particular image I used only one light to do the illumination. All of the other lights in the room were off. I use a roll of white window shade material for the backdrop and the lighting generates the subtle tone changes in the background.

Tks...great grain

Media information

Album
Twisted Turnings - Horais
Added by
brian horais
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata