• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
THERM-A-STOOL
brian horais

THERM-A-STOOL

This three-legged stool was made from maple (seat) and cherry (legs) using a technique known as Therming that dates back to the 1700s. Therming is described by many as barrel turning or drum turning. In basic terms it is spindle turning, using a jig that holds multiple spindle blanks off-center allowing curves to be cut into the spindles simultaneously. Therming has allowed furniture makers to produce spindles in quantity for use as furniture legs and balusters with shapes that were difficult to create by other means. The three-legged ‘thermed’ stool shown here is 13 inches tall and 8 inches wide. Finish is Briwax Hard Wax Oil buffed on the Beall System. You can see the spindles/legs of this stool mounted on the therming rig at the bottom of the full image.
I am not sure where I saw it and it may have been written by Allen Lacer but the article had many photos and diagrams concerning this method

Don, there is an excellent article written by Art Liestman on 'Therming' in the April 2020 issue of American Woodturner. Art taught a class at Arrowmont in 2012 on multi-axis turning, along with Barbara Dill. I was in the class and credit Art and Barbara with getting me started down the path of multi-axis turning. I'm preparing an article for American Woodturner on making a therming rig and fabricating this stool. The article should be available in the not too distant future.

Media information

Album
Twisted Turnings - Horais
Added by
brian horais
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device