• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Starship One
brian horais

Starship One

This 3 inch diameter cherry vase was turned from a single block of wood. The sweeping arms and futuristic shape remind me of something from a 50's era science fiction movie. I was inspired to make this (during my corona downtime) by a similar turning made by Nico Oosthoek who was inspired by the creator Paul Masyn, from Belgium. It was a fun exercise in turning, mounting and precision cutting. As a bonus it's even a functional vase (if only for dried things...). Hopefully you are finding refuge in your wood turning these days and are exploring new challenges as well.
Very 1960’s, and well executed!

Great piece, Brian! Looks like a very similar technique to an emerging bowl form is called for with this...is that correct? Two thumbs up!!!

@Roger Chandler
Similar technique to the emerging bowl Roger, but with this one you only rotate the item 90 degrees to finish the sphere, while with the emerging bowl you are rotating the item 180 degrees (after splitting it apart) to turn the bowl. Thanks for your comments!

Media information

Album
Twisted Turnings - Horais
Added by
brian horais
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings

Image metadata

Device