• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Small golden bowl
E

Small golden bowl

Further exploration of my textured theme. This is 4", from cherry, textured and stained, with a red rim and gold leafing inside. Critiques are welcome
hi ed:
it's hard to tell from the picture, but what first struck me was how the thick, rough, textured outside (which i love) conflicts with inside gold-leaf, which has a more refined, formal feel to it. wonder if it needs some sort of transition.

nice experimentation! keep it up.

The uneven textured edge on this piece works for me. I have tried to do textured edges like this in the past and they were on even-rimmed pieces. A couple of folks commented that made them look like ashtrays. This one couldn't be confused with an ashtray.

Maybe a different transition would work better. The textured outside looks nice. The 2 colors work well together.

Thanks guys. As far as transition, do you mean maybe a different rim treatment? Contrasting both the outside texture and the inner gold?

ed... could be just the picture ... but my eyes see the beautiful, rough, outside texture (including the rim), however my mind sees the goldleaf--bright, formal, glossy. again, it may be that the gold is hard to demonstrate in photography, but it's as if there's two different pieces -- by transition, i'm thinking how the two could merge into one.

it's a beautiful piece and one i'd love to see in person.

I've got some new ideas in mind for other treatments, but I'm going to keep this transition thought in the back of my head. Usually I find I have better results when I stop trying to figure out answers, then suddenly an answer will just apear to me.

This is just a tiny bowl, only 4", but it just feels good in my hands and it has become my favorite piece.. so far ;) Thanks for the nice compliments

Ed...Don't change a thing. It works as is. A transition on a piece of this size can clutter things up and make things too busy. Look at a geode....there is no transition between the rough exterior and the brilliant crystals inside. Your are the artist....Go with your gut.....You know what the work needs.....AND....Only you know when the work is complete.

Remember, everyone has an opinion. But, yours is the only one that matters here.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Ed Kelle
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device