• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Seedbox
mfoster

Seedbox

Inspired by the seed pods of the plant Ludwigia alternifolia. It is commonly known as seedbox, square-pod water-primrose and rattlebox among others. The real life version is about 1/4" in size and it does have a hole in the top and the seeds will rattle around in the box. The pods will get water borne and float around scattering seeds as it goes. 

The pods were all turned on 5 axes, hollowed on one of them. I then carved the result to final form. The base is a piece of maple burl that looked to be perfect as a simulation of ground. The stem was a fun and different project for me. I used 1/8 brass rod and bent it to look natural then soldered all the branches on. The whole stem was then covered in epoxy putty that was then carved to look close to original stems. An interesting project altogether.

Maple, Maple burl, Brass Rod, solder, epoxy, acrylics, Krylon matted to knock down the gloss of the acrylic.
14"h x 8" x 8"

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
mfoster
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata