• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Road to Recovery
Jeff Hornung

Road to Recovery

Road to Recovery
We all have injuries; physical, mental, emotional. We all heal eventually and as best we can. Saying something like “I’m on the road to recovery” implies this is a linear journey with an absolute beginning and a finite endpoint. After working my own way down that “road to recovery” following a car accident I realized this wasn’t the case. There is no finish line, no chance of being exactly like I was before the incident. Honestly in most ways I think I’m actually more. I’m better than what and who I was. In some ways however I’m less. I still can’t play piano for any length of time and can’t go to movies. Sensory overload is a real thing for me and I’m hesitant in certain environments. With this piece I wanted to show what that road really is. It’s a rough winding path that never leads to an end point but hopefully allows us to find our new normal. This path isn’t always easy, sometimes the healing process is more difficult than the original issue. Time does heal but that doesn’t mean we’re the same as before. That concept isn’t easy for others to understand at times, mostly because they assume that “recovered” means just that.
I am healed, I’m not the same. For me that’s actually a much better place to be. For others it isn’t.
Birch ply laminate bowl with forced patina and nails. Base is Ipe
21 inches tall and 12 inches wide.

Media information

Album
Jeff Hornung’s Turnings
Added by
Jeff Hornung
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings