• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Oriental Style Box
K

Oriental Style Box

My youngest daughter and her husband like oriental things. I thought Ray Key's piece on the woodturners catalog would be something they would like. My rendition is maple burl (spalted and punky) with a walnut base and a claro walnut lid. The base is about 6 1/2" wide and 2 1/2" tall. The box is 5" tall and 3" in diameter. The lid with the finial is about 2 1/2" tall. Overall it stands about 8" tall. Your comments and suggestions are very much requested.
Ken, this is a very pretty piece!

POD 07-18-08
AAW Home Page Photo Of the Day

Very well crafted and your selection of wood colors and textures is right on the mark.

Ken, what a well balanced piece, great job!
Is the base a single piece, it's hard to tell in the photo.
Mike

Ken

Thanks for sharing. Amazing how timing works in life - I have been conceptualizing a piece from the same inspiration. When I finish I hope mine measures up to yours.

Cheers
Mike

The base is a single piece. I turned a block about 4" x 4" x 6" and then cut to width on a band saw.

Ken

Media information

Album
Ken Vonk
Added by
Ken Vonk
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata