• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Natural edged oak bowl
J

Natural edged oak bowl

This natural edge oak bowl is about 7" in diameter and 3" tall. I know the tree is a member of the oak family, can anyone tell me what type of oak? Thanks!
I have oak envy. A lot of my oak roughouts have cracked and here you post an excellent specimen.

I was reading about oak in A Guide to Field Identification of North American Trees (Golden). That book said there are 2 main groups of oak - red oak and white oak. Most white oaks have rounded lobes or non-bristle tipped leaves. Red oaks are bristle/pointed tip. I've cut down - 1 red oak with real pointy leaves, and 2 liveoaks with round leaves with points on the ends. All 3 were in the red oak group. The wood was similar in the trees I cut. And it looked similar to the bowl you posted.

Hi Jeff,

I remember that the leaves were of the rounded variety (white oak family). I brought it to our last local AAW meeting, and one of the guys told me what it is. Either Pin oak or Bur oak. But I can't remember which one he said!

I was given a 3 foot long piece of this tree from a friend, and most of it had ring shake so bad it couldn't be used. I was only able to make 2 small bowls out of what I had!

Well for some reason my response to your last post didn't take. Both have 5-9 lobes on their leaves. Burr oak has rounded edged and Pin oak has very pointy leaves. Burr oak is white oak, and Pin oak is red oak.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Jim McTavish
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device