• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
"Mar Verde"
A

"Mar Verde"

This is my latest piece, which is one of my burl and resin series pieces. This piece is about 8 inches high by about 6 1/2" in diameter. It is an olive root burl with a green and a hint of gold pigmented resin, and quite possibly the most difficult/frustrating piece I have every made. It is not that it is was particularly challenging far as design or technique, but soon after I started hollowing I found several rocks from about 1/2" in diameter to over 1 1/2" in diameter that the wood of the burl had grown around. I was wishing these rocks were limestone or something soft but my luck they were quartz. I ruined 4 hunter cutters and finally had to use long shank carbide burrs to slowly grind the rocks out. I have no idea how many hours but I can say it was not an easy task. A few times I almost gave up on the piece. It was lucky that it even made it off of the lathe. I hated to give up as the casting itself was probably the most flaw free casting that I have ever done. I had change a few things on this casting to see if I could improve on the pieces I was making. Those changes made a positive impact on this piece. It has incredible depth and a lot of visual movement in the resin parts of the piece and nice piece of wood. It is about 3/16" thick until the bottom which is 3/8" because there is a rock in the bottom that I could not cut all the way out. It is visible for the inside and form the bottom of the piece. I purposely made the opening a little larger as it invites people to take a look inside to see the light shining through the translucent resin.

I call this Piece "Mar Verde" as it reminds me of a green sea.

Cheers or jeers are welcome.

Thanks for looking

Alan
I've had this piece in my hands and the photo doesn't do it justest. It would be interesting to see a photo with the inside illuminated. Sorry about the quartz, and the damaged tools Alan, but the pieces is beautiful, as usual.

Beautiful piece! Would you please elaborate on your resin procedure. Looks like you really know what you are doing. I just ordered some alumilite today to fix some cracked persimmon vases. Have never used any resin before.

Bob Sharon,

Thanks for the compliments. I really appreciate it. They are much nicer in person thanks for that validation.

Sharon,

The Alumilite will work. It really needs to be filled/cast under pressure. Send me a private message and get me some photos of the pieces and I might be able to guide you.

Thanks,

Alan

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Alan Trout
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings