• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Lotus Emerging from the Dark
-e-

Lotus Emerging from the Dark

The steel base is constructed from antique square nails pounded and fired into submission. The lotus flowers were grown on the sycamore through woodburning, carving and coloring.

With this piece, I was trying to tell a story. The lotus flower is the symbol for enlightenment; it grows through murk, darkness and chaos, yet once finding the light, its beauty can finally be displayed.
Very awesome piece -e-! I like the way the flowers seem to be antiqued or partially translucent. What did you use to color them? The center work of the stems and spiderweb (?) is a great touch.

Thanks Chris ...

I use the Prismacolor markers for color. Using their blender marker with the color markers, I can build-up the colors without streaking and create many different effects.

With this piece, I was trying to tell a story. The lotus flower is the symbol for enlightenment; it grows through murk, darkness and chaos, yet once finding the light, its beauty can finally be displayed.

Great story on the piece -e-, I imagined there must be a tale, but that one really adds to this piece.

A primacolor blender marker? I haven't heard of that before, but could definitely use one. Is there a part number or official name for it aside from blender marker I should use so I can go looking for one?

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
-e-
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device