• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Gift
Bob Edwards

Gift

All my stories seem to be long ones. On my resent trip to England I was given a private tour of a 16th century manor home. The home once belonged to the family of the man I took to do genealogy research. Thinking ahead of me, as usual, Trudy asked for a piece of firewood wood from the estate. This piece made from that firewood, is a gift to the owners of Rainthorpe Hall as thank you for their hospitality and generosity. I have sense learned that the wood is from the Haxel cob-nut tree. It is used as a hedge as it grows thick and the branches can be bent over and woven into the next plant to close the gap. You may call the fruit Hazel nuts or Filberts.
Have a look here for Rainthroup Hall:(http://search.struttandparker.com/assets/brochures/NOR120026.PDFas)

The blonde wood is the Hazel, the stem and finial are Walnut. the piece is 7.25" tall. Comments welcomed.
Thank you Gary, I enjoyed doing it.

Malcolm you are correct. Transforming firewood into something to be appreciated is indeed a pleasure. But I must admit I most enjoy teaching others, especially a beginning or intermediate turner and watching the pleasure in their eyes as they "get it"
That satisfaction, and sharing Mesquite with friends as I travel is what turning is all about for me. Thanks again for your comments.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Bob Edwards
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device