• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
George’s Telescope…Finished!
David DeCristoforo

George’s Telescope…Finished!

Almost three years to the day I started this, the telescope is finally finished. I’ve had to make a lot of changes along the way. Refinements, tweaks and modifications abound. I really never intended to do anything this complicated but the thing just kind of took me over. My sense of relief at having finished it is colossal.

I am aware that I’m going to get totally raked over the coals about these images. At some point I will have to get better photos. But the weather is crappy here and I have no “studio” to photograph in so I had to kind of fake it.

I still need to adjust the scope (collimate is the correct term) but that will have to wait for some decent weather as it has to be done outside and takes a bit of time. But the thing balances well (that was a fussy process in itself) and the movement is smooth and stable in all directions. I needed a lot more counterweight than I originally thought so I had to whack my counterweight and fill in with some cast iron weight plates. I needed twelve pounds to counterbalance the scope and there was no way to cram that much shot into my wood weight.

So, anyway… for what it is worth, here it is and now I can get on with the other part of my life!
Incredible job David. I can certainly understand why this would be a three year project. You should be very proud of this accomplishment.

I never would have imagined such a thing. A stunning accomplishment. Now, I want to ask question; this is the first I've heard of your project. Did you grind the mirror and the lenses? When you mention that you will collimate it I'm assuming that this is an instrument, not a model.

Stunning work, David. I know that you are relieved to finally be finished. After such a long gestation period I hope that you won't suffer any sort of postpartum depression.

I think that you need to turn some spoked wheels to replace the litle casters.

The casters are not long for this world! Amateur scope builders say a scope in never "done". There's always tweaking and modifying. My first mod will be to replace the wheels with something a bit more elegant!

Media information

Album
David DeCristoforo
Added by
David DeCristoforo
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings

Image metadata

Filename