• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Dinosaur Egg
[B][I]Dinosaur Egg[/I][/B]

[B][I]Dinosaur Egg[/I][/B] was turned green from Canyon Oak with its wavy rays and sweet fragrance. Canyon Oak is an extraordinary wood with such high density that it was used to make splitting wedges to split railroad ties in early California history. [B][I]Dinosaur Egg[/I][/B] only required two light coats of my custom super-blonde spirit varnish as the grain is tighter than Ebony. The oak for [B][I]Dinosaur Egg[/I][/B] was harvested in the mountains adjacent to where I discovered a fossil during an excavation (which is the genesis of its name).

[B][I]Dinosaur Egg[/I][/B]
4 3/4" high x 5" wide x 5 3/8" deep x 9 ounces
121mm x 127mm x 137mm x 254 grams
June 2009

[url=http://www.californiawoodartist.com]californiawoodartist.com[/url]

Images copyright 2009 by Robert Manning
very nice, the wavy rays are extraordinary

Thanks, Charlie. I have not seen another Oak with wavy rays.

If anyone knows of another Oak with wavy rays or with completely closed grain, let me know.

Robert

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Robert Manning
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata