• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
CURLY Maple? Hollow Form
George Guadiane

CURLY Maple? Hollow Form

This started out as a gray waffeled chunk of wood I picked up from a "tree graveyard" in my area... It would have been firewood.
It was soaking wet and ALMOST punky, so I half turned it and let it sit for a week, put in the microwave for a few 30 second turns. After the last one, I rubbed it with olive oil, while it was hot, till it wouldn't take any more.
I finish turned it (pretty thin) and sanded the outside. With the oil, it was like dermabrasion, the sandpaper "clogged up," but kept right on cutting.
Remember I said that the wood was nearly punky??? At the last 1/4 inch of turning the spiggot off, the vase popped off into my hand, leaving a little hole in the bottom.
I hope that I saved it by turning an inset of cherry burl and inserting it as a prosthetic foot.
With all of the oil, shellac and bee's wax was pretty much my only option.
4 inches high by 4 1/2 inches in diameter.
nice, i usually am at a loss when something does not work out, glad to hear someone knows what else can be done

Thanks, the wood was just too nice to give up on. I have had numerous disasters from which there is no recovery, this one just worked nicely!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
George Guadiane
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename