• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Curly Koa Off Axis Triangle Box w/ Koa Finial
George Guadiane

Curly Koa Off Axis Triangle Box w/ Koa Finial

The finial was turned from a separate piece. Both the box and the finial are obviously curly.
Overall it is about 7 inches tall.
Nice shape George. Have you considered making the bottom section with a twist? Take a look at my website on the 'Links' page - I have some tutorials on making a twisted triangular shape.
Brian

@brian horais I've done a few twisted things...
Here are examples - I did these eight or ten years ago. I've been trying to get a twisted box, I haven't been happy with the results so far.

George, Here is a technique I developed to add a twist to shorter objects (like bowls or boxes). Add a sacrificial top and bottom section to the desired turning block. This allows you to turn the twist on the shorter section. An approach like this may enable you to turn a twisted box. I would recommend turning the blank round for the box and then parting the box where desired. Leave a tenon in the middle and pin it (I use cut off finishing nails). This will keep it from turning and distorting grain alignment when you turn the twist. This is the technique I developed for making twisted peppermills (take a look at the writeup on my webpage: www.horais.com on the Links page)
Brian

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
George Guadiane
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata