• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Bradford Pear HF with textured/burned random pattern
Dave Hulett

Bradford Pear HF with textured/burned random pattern

saw several similar things on the internet but most were a vase type form but I liked the idea. so I decided to do more of a "squatty" hollow form. It's about 10" in diameter and the black contrasts beautifully with the pear. This was the most time intensive things I've ever done, but I love the result. I hope everyone else does too.
@brian horais My burning tip was a 3/32" ball. By pushing in it created an indent. After that, I went back with a shading tip to blacken anything that was missed in between indentations.

got the idea from a very old pinterest post by Wally Dickerman. did a little investigating and appears he was a well known AAW member. I believe he passed away a few years ago.

Thanks Dave, I've been experimenting with nichrome wire and my home made burning setup. I'm guessing you are using an iron that allows you to mount different tips on a single shaft.

@brian horais yes. Several years ago our club had Molly Winton demonstrate and teach for us. I'm using a burnmaster pen that allows for replaceable tips but I have some fixed pens as well. I have a colwood burner.

Media information

Album
Turnings
Added by
Dave Hulett
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device