1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice
brian horais

Ascending Woods

This 12-inch tall wood ‘multicolor’ sculpture of ascending wood varieties was created on a lathe using a technique known as therming. Not everything created on a lathe has to be round. Therming uses a rotary drum on the lathe with offset (but parallel) centerlines that enables multiple spindles to be turned to the same shape at the same time. Three spindles including cherry, maple and poplar, were turned to shape, finished and mounted on a center column to create this sculpture. Finish is Watco oil, buffed on the Beall system. The center column is finished in satin black to contrast with the wood. An insert image on the bottom of the main image shows the spindles nearing completion on the therming rig.

Ascending Woods
brian horais, Sep 20, 2020
    • Dan Stevenson
      This, and your body of work it fits well within - is very interesting Harold. A bit mind-boggling even. Good on you mate.
    • brian horais
      I appreciate the comment Dan. If you want to explore further, take a look at my video on YouTube on Therming a Stool. It describes the therming rig I have used for all of my therming projects.

View: https://youtu.be/EOW8BkJNt7g
      Karl Koch likes this.
    • Russ Braun
      Very nice Brian! Why you holding off on some segmented pieces via theming......if you know what I mean, haha!!
    • brian horais
      That's a good one Russ. Not that it hasn't crossed my mind.... I'm still considering how the segmented approach would enhance the thermed approach. Who knows, I may give it a try. I definitely have decided not to do any twisted thermed objects. That pushes my mind too far!
    • barbara dill
      Hey Brian, That's a great video. Your work is really expanding!! Congratulations!!
    • brian horais
      Thanks Barbara. Still a lot to explore in the world of twisted turning!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Album:
    Twisted Turnings - Horais
    Uploaded By:
    brian horais
    Date:
    Sep 20, 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    409.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1652px
    Height:
    1920px
    Aperture:
    f/2.4
    Make:
    samsung
    Model:
    SM-G973U1
    Date / Time:
    2020:09:18 09:29:36
    Exposure Time:
    1/120 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 320
    Focal Length:
    4.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).