• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Ancient Pine 3 of 5
D

Ancient Pine 3 of 5

I really like to see the process of turning things like this, very informative, a pictue is a thousand words! But can you give more details

Not sure of what details you refer to but; I am turning on a homemade unit (not a Oneway--just the same colour) with the capacity to turn a 40"er; lagged to a plank floor-when it shakes the building,I turn down the rpm's; controller is variable speed reversing; motor is 5hp;use a modified McNaughton center-saver; straight cutters are carbide-tipped machine-shop-made to core up to 24";I use a 1" bowl gouge for the rough work, down to a 1/4" 2060 Hamlet for finishing, all on McNaughton handles; electric winch on track on ceiling to put blocks in position to thread onto the spindle; and away we go having fun.

Fascinating Don!! It must be a thrill to know you are working with wood of this age. I don't know why but I did not expect the log to be nearly this big after laying burried this many years. Glad you have found a way to preserve the wood and give it the design beauty it deserves.

Wilford

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Don Thur
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata