1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice
odie

1894 Maple Burl.

Maple burl with raised detail. Finished 7/28/20, and listed 8/1/20......Sold for $395 on same day listed. Original block was 26% MC, and took 17 months to season the roughed bowl. Size is 7 3/16 x 4 9/16, Weight is 1lb 13.3oz. Sanded to 600gt, and finished with Watco Danish Oil natural, and Beall 3-step buff.

1894 Maple Burl.
odie, Aug 3, 2020
    • Glenn Lefley
      Odie when you use the three step buff , do you have trouble with the white getting in cracks and grooves. I skip that step as used once and spent the day with toothbrush removing white sh@t!

by the way congrats and beautiful. I have a couple hundred maple Burl blanks I need to start turning. Waiting for the day for work to slow down.
      odie likes this.
    • William Rogers
      Odie, really like how the curve is continued through the rim. Great job.
      odie likes this.
    • odie
      @Glenn Lefley .....Howdy Glenn, and thank you. :D There are times when I do skip the White Diamond, but only on the worst of bowls with excessive gaps and voids. I do find that the WD is a beneficial step in the process, so if I can keep it, I do. Like you, I'm using a stiff toothbrush, and a dental pick to clean up the white that gets into the voids. If you use a strong blast of air, that is also helpful. Also, there are times I've used a fine little artist's brush and apply more Danish oil over the white in the cracks......this hides it pretty well. The real trick here is to use the WD very very sparingly. Sometimes don't even apply any and just go with the residue left over with the last buffing job. -----odie-----
    • Glenn Lefley
      @William Rogers me to. It’s as if the rim was added after the bowl was turned.
      odie likes this.
    • odie
      @William Rogers ....Yes sir......that is important. Just doesn't look right if the curve isn't maintained. :( -----odie-----
    • Glenn Lefley
      @odie I thing I will try and put the wd back in my schedule. I used it only once when I got the system And got mad when I spent the day cleaning it out.
      odie likes this.
    • Tom Gall
      @odie 1894...boy that's an old burl! :D Congrats on the quick $$$ sale. Re: the continuous curve through raised band - it's well done.....but IMHO, I think the band should imitate the curve of the bowl and not be perpendicular to the table. Just a suggestion for the next masterpiece. ;)
      odie likes this.
    • odie
      @Tom Gall......I've done this shape before, but not this far "raised". While I turned this one, I can remember contemplating just what you're suggesting, Tom, but decided against it. I believe my reasoning at that moment was it would have shortened the extension more than I wanted to go.....However, I consider it a good suggestion, and when I decide to do this particular shape again, I may give it a go! :D -----odie-----
    • Rating:
      5/5,
      Lamar Wright
      What a beautiful bowl Odie..it shows your fine craftsmanship. I really like the design and the finish is superb! Well done indeed my friend.
      odie likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Member Galleries
    Uploaded By:
    odie
    Date:
    Aug 3, 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    3043px
    Height:
    2282px
    Aperture:
    f/2.5
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon PowerShot S95
    Date / Time:
    2020:08:01 09:33:37
    Exposure Time:
    1/40 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    7.493 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).