• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
1674 Maple Burl
odie

1674 Maple Burl

This is the most perfect burl I've ever had the pleasure of turning. No cracks, voids, separations, only one very small bark inclusion. Finished 5/18/19, 1lb 10.5 oz, 12 5/8" x 2 11/16", Undercut rim, Original block was 20% MC, and after roughing took 8 months to stabilized weight. Wish I had a truck load of this..... :) -----odie-----
To all.......I'm pretty much doing the same basic shapes over and over again. This might seem a little boring to some of you, but for me, the pleasure is in perfecting my techniques to the point where I can do them without any difficulties that haven't been dealt with previously.....successfully........if that makes sense! :rolleyes: For those of you who are familiar with my input to the thread about discovering new ideas to detect vibrations, I've been using my "vibro-meter" on every bowl I've made since that thread. It is much more sensitive to slight variations in rpm than my previous methods. It's resulted in an improvement in my ability to get the finest cut possible.......many thanks to @Clifton C for his ideas here, because I don't think I could have arrived at the same place without his brilliant ideas! -----odie-----

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
odie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings

Image metadata

Device