• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Would You Turn This?

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Will definitely be an art piece unless you do a lot of epoxy work. I've only turned a few pieces of mulberry but my experience and what I'm told is expect a lot of cracks and movement if it was green/wet when turned.

Would I turn it? Probably not.

Could I turn it? Yes. I would do it on my CNC mill to minimize any needed sanding. I've used various ways to mechanically stabilize fragile pieces. Bondo auto body filler works well using Saran wrap liner so it doesn't stick to the wood. Also wax granules melted to fill and stabilize.

Why are you turning it? Sometimes pieces like this are shown, my thought is they were done as a personal challenge or to demonstrate the turner's skill. Most everything I turn is utilitarian and if it happens to be attractive that's even better. A bowl with a void in the side wouldn't be utilitarian.

Would I turn it? Probably not.

Could I turn it? Yes. I would do it on my CNC mill to minimize any needed sanding. I've used various ways to mechanically stabilize fragile pieces. Bondo auto body filler works well using Saran wrap liner so it doesn't stick to the wood. Also wax granules melted to fill and stabilize.

Why are you turning it? Sometimes pieces like this are shown, my thought is they were done as a personal challenge or to demonstrate the turner's skill. Most everything I turn is utilitarian and if it happens to be attractive that's even better. A bowl with a void in the side wouldn't be utilitarian.

Definitely for the challenge. I don't do art, per se. Will it be functional with a large void? No, but I'll still like it.

probably not but if I had, I’d have used every screw hole in a larger faceplate to minimize the chance of an airborne chunk.

probably not but if I had, I’d have used every screw hole in a larger faceplate to minimize the chance of an airborne chunk.

It's the only faceplate I have (I don't use them often). I think I got 5 screws in it. There wasn't any way to position it so that all of the screw holes were over solid wood.

Back