• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Homemade camera hollowing system

I am not sure, but I believe you only need one of the connectors attached. then select the output. I guess you could attach both cables and have a choice of outputs, but not sure. The monitor shows both connections for the camera input.

Hi Paul Im new here , and have zero literacy with vidoe and screens. I bought both of these and the yellow and red cords don't fit into the any of the holes on the monitor. is there some kind of adaptor one can use?

thanks Dion
Hi Don, are your cables exactly like what’s in the pictures from Amazon?(color wise). If so then the yellow end is called a BNC connector it should go to another cable that has a “female” BNC connector on both ends then connect the other end of that to the monitor. Furthest spot on the right of monitor. Hope that makes cense. Those connectors are a push and twist connection. I’m in my shop now if you need any more help

Attachments

• IMG_1548.jpeg
    IMG_1548.jpeg
    466 KB · Views: 26

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Hi Don, are your cables exactly like what’s in the pictures from Amazon?(color wise). If so then the yellow end is called a BNC connector it should go to another cable that has a “female” BNC connector on both ends then connect the other end of that to the monitor. Furthest spot on the right of monitor. Hope that makes cense. Those connectors are a push and twist connection. I’m in my shop now if you need any more help
and the red one on the camera is for power (looks like it wants 12v)

oh ok , thanks , yeah no I was trying to plug directly to the monitor, you cant do that. just ordered an extension like that.

I got my fittings from Lyle, but when I needed to help a friend modify his found most of what is needed by googling hand rail fittings or marine rail fittings. These are commonly used parts on most boats and available for tubing that’s 7/8”, 1”, or 1-1/4” diameter.

oh ok , thanks , yeah no I was trying to plug directly to the monitor, you cant do that. just ordered an extension like that.
Don, you should have gotten a short cord like in the photo, that plugs to the camera and to the back of the video. Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_1562.jpeg
    IMG_1562.jpeg
    798.2 KB · Views: 12
I made my camera boom arm and mast out of wood. The mast is clamped to the torque arrestor and the boom is clamped to the mast. it's a little shaky, but could be beefed up.

Well while we are on this, I have an inspection camera that has a usb that I plug into an old computer. This all works fine. However I am wondering if I could just plug the camera into a stand alone monitor. I use the “camera” software in windows currently. Would the monitor need some software?

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
Well while we are on this, I have an inspection camera that has a usb that I plug into an old computer. This all works fine. However I am wondering if I could just plug the camera into a stand alone monitor. I use the “camera” software in windows currently. Would the monitor need some software?
You'd need a converter. Something like this I think.

You might find something cheaper, but note that the great majority of what you'll find searching for "USB to HDMI converter" will be for adding add a monitor to your computer. That's a different sort of adapter and wouldn't do anything with a webcam.

@Dave Landers Thanks guess I’ll just stay with my old windows computer. I can buy a new windows computer before going that route. I have seen monitors with usb inputs, but guessing those are used for computer connections rather than cameras. I am a Mac person and don’t care much for windows.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
@Dave Landers Thanks guess I’ll just stay with my old windows computer. I can buy a new windows computer before going that route. I have seen monitors with usb inputs, but guessing those are used for computer connections rather than cameras. I am a Mac person and don’t care much for windows.
The usb on a monitor (smart tv) is usually for a flash drive, for watching videos or viewing photos stored on the drive.
You can plug your camera into a Mac...

The usb on a monitor (smart tv) is usually for a flash drive, for watching videos or viewing photos stored on the drive.
You can plug your camera into a Mac...

Yes I can plug it into my Mac, but have the old and slow windows computer that I will use. Just finished all the updates on the windows computer. It will work, just slow and a pain because it is slow. it works, just not my desired connection. Not worth a lot of expense changing.

Back