• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

FSR Ultra Shear replacement cutters and screws

Trying to Help a new turner get started. He purchased a lathe (Nova DVR) with tools from a turner who passed (RIP).
Nice stuff. Good deal for him, fair for the widow. Quality.
Anyway, he has a couple of FSR carbide cutters tools. I wanted to help him purchase "alternative" cutters.
I have done so at Amazon with my EzWood tools. No problem.

We purchased some 16mm cutters that came with screws. The cutter seems to fit but the screws do not.
I remember reading that this is sometimes a challenge using 3rd party cutters.
Screws don't fit.

If anyone owns/uses the FSR Ultra Shear cutter and knows my solution, I would appreciate the help.
While I am an old school Bill Grumbine bowl gouge sort of turner, he would like simpler with carbide cutters.
We will get to the grinder and wolverine jig in good time.

thanks,

It can be a challenge to get the right screws sometimes. The screws in the picture are all the same thread size (M4 in this case) but the difference in head shape/size is obvious. I’ve now found a supplier of both inserts and screws here in the UK so it shouldn’t be a problem for me going forward. Hopefully you can find someone over there in the US? Good luck with your quest. ;)

Screws.jpeg

Arizona Carbide (azcarbide.com) has a good cross-reference chart. I don't know that range of tools well enough, but Ron shows "Full Size Round" as an 8-32 screw (if that's what "FSR" means). In the full size listings, the diamond shows 4-40.

Back