• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Drying wood MW or Dehydrator

Edit: This is the process I use for once-turned bowls. You may need to modify it slightly for twice turned bowls due to the thicker walls.

I use the timed defrost setting.
  1. Weigh the bowl.
  2. Microwave 2 minutes on defrost.
  3. Turn the bowl over (not sure it matters) and defrost for 2 minutes again.
  4. Let the bowl sit for 1-2 hours.
  5. Weigh the bowl. You weigh after cooling, because the moisture gets pushed to the surface during MW. An hour or so of air drying gives you a better reading.
  6. If the bowl lost more than 3% weight, repeat 1-5. The 3% number is arbitrary and anecdotal but it provides a discussion point. If your bowl was 100 grams before drying, and 97 after drying one cycle, repeat steps 1-5. If your bowl only loses 1 gram the next cycle, you are done.
There are some other factors:
  • Wood species and wall thickness. A very thin bowl, or one made of a wood known to move a lot, might need slower drying. It might be better to only MW for 1:30 at a time. If in doubt, slower is better.
  • Weighing is better than using a moisture meter. I still use the moisture meter, but only to confirm what I already knew by weighing. A cheap gram scale is $15. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092W43Q25)
  • I use my kitchen microwave. My wife doesn't love it, but she doesn't really complain. You may need to get a cheap used one for drying bowls. For the first couple of cycles, I wrap the bowl in a paper towel to catch moisture.
As always, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Edit: This is the process I use for once-turned bowls. You may need to modify it slightly for twice turned bowls due to the thicker walls.

I use the timed defrost setting.
  1. Weigh the bowl.
  2. Microwave 2 minutes on defrost.
  3. Turn the bowl over (not sure it matters) and defrost for 2 minutes again.
  4. Let the bowl sit for 1-2 hours.
  5. Weigh the bowl. You weigh after cooling, because the moisture gets pushed to the surface during MW. An hour or so of air drying gives you a better reading.
  6. If the bowl lost more than 3% weight, repeat 1-5. The 3% number is arbitrary and anecdotal but it provides a discussion point. If your bowl was 100 grams before drying, and 97 after drying one cycle, repeat steps 1-5. If your bowl only loses 1 gram the next cycle, you are done.
There are some other factors:
  • Wood species and wall thickness. A very thin bowl, or one made of a wood known to move a lot, might need slower drying. It might be better to only MW for 1:30 at a time. If in doubt, slower is better.
  • Weighing is better than using a moisture meter. I still use the moisture meter, but only to confirm what I already knew by weighing. A cheap gram scale is $15. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B092W43Q25)
  • I use my kitchen microwave. My wife doesn't love it, but she doesn't really complain. You may need to get a cheap used one for drying bowls. For the first couple of cycles, I wrap the bowl in a paper towel to catch moisture.
As always, your mileage may vary.
Thanks Kent. I found a nearly new MW on FB for $20 and have it in my garage. I have tried it usually 60 seconds on then cool for some time probably not 1-2 hours. I once tried too long and it cracked on me so need to be patient. I have noticed Glenn Lucas in Ireland uses some kind of dehydrator system is what made me wonder. I will try the MW more and I use my wife’s digital scale.

Back