• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

comparing papr's

Kicking around the idea of a papr next in line of need instead of a tool.
I seen a post with the part numbers for piecing together a 3m versaflo and while I was on ebay looking around I come across the ones that Ford made for the covid pandemic. Looks like they use dewalt batteries too.
Has anyone experimented with one of those or one of the other much cheaper in all ways I'm sure. that are showing up?
I'm sure the 3m might be better but the ford has the regular batteries going for it. Would have to modify a hood probably.

Last year I had even contemplated adapting an old cpap machine that I have as a spare by putting it in a box having a hepa filter on the side of the box and then a 8 foot hose to be able to move around the lathe. Too deliverance for you? LOL

I wonder if filters for a "medical" application might clog up earlier than those designed for a dusty environment, even if they filter the same size particles?

The Ford page reference cited above doesn't say much about the details of their product. The key elements would be an ANSI compliant face shield that can be raised, sufficient air flow to have a minimum positive pressure to keep dust out of the hood including adequate seals to allow this to happen, a filter with the right filtration size and flow rate with relatively easy replacement of the filter and availability of replacement filters, a wearable battery, at a tolerable cost. I suspect most of us would say that the helmet component may not be required, if the face shield can do it's job.

Can some of you with industrial experience specify the minimum requirements? How does the Ford papr stack up to these? What about replacement parts and disposables?

I have a friend with head/neck issues. He got a light weight 'surgical' hood and mask that comes down over his shoulders. It seems to work well, unless you want full face shield protection. He turns mostly small things. I have heard of people using old CPAP machines. I would expect that the fancy filters you can get for your home HVAC systems would be sufficient for filtration. Who knows, maybe you can get some of that pleated paper paper stuff that is used for the dust collection systems that filters down to 0.5 microns.

robo hippy

I"m not sure why it has to be over complicated. As long as you can get a source of filtered clean air. (cpap in a box or even those cheapy things that basically just look like a squirrel cage attached to a tube.) Run that to maybe a versaflo 3m m-206 face shield figure out a way to attach and as long as you are getting pressure on your face shouldn't be any dust right?

I bought the JSP Power Cap last year. It is very comfortable to wear and use. The powered fan inside with a face shield keeps you cool, and my glasses do not fog at all. I’ve been very impressed with it. It is a little bit pricey, but I figured I only get one set of lungs, so I’m not going to take the risk.

I bought the Peke, I liked having the battery in the belt pack, and the same face shield as my usual Bionic. Was $550, now seems to be $650

CleanAir HEPA PAPR System - CA3​

Bought the Sundstrom unit from Woodturners Wonders last year. Had Ken bring it to the Symposium so saved the shipping. I’ve been extremely pleased with it. Seems like after about 30 seconds, I forget I’ve got it on. Although to be honest, I welded for many years so I’m used to having a weight (helmet) on my head and the pulling on the neck.

I've been using the Peke Safety Powercap for about 2 years now. It does a great job filtering, and is light enough that I can wear it all day without neck fatigue. It can be a bit noisy with the fan sitting right on top of your head, but certainly less noisy than my dust extractor. Kind of a bummer if you sneeze before you can yank it off your head though...

I’ve been using the Peke Power Cap for 3-4 years and have had no problems. Not top heavy, fan noise is not noticeable once I start turning. Battery last for a long time.

Been using the Peke CleanAir PAPR (belt fan/battery, bionic face mask) for about 2.5yrs. Love it. Wear it all the time when turning. Do a search, I and others have highly recommended it.

When I did spraying at my custom furniture shop, I put a small squirrel cage blower in the office and ran 2" pvc to the spray booth. I then ran a garden hose to my belt, and a CPAP short whip hose to a converter on my 3M mask. That super flexible whip hose made a great difference. I didn't need a fancy filtering as the office air was a fair distance from the spray booth.

I've developed a serious sensitivity to most wood dust. I bought the Trend Unit (too loud, heavy, unbalanced and airflow bothers my eyes) Then I bought the Powercap from Peke. MUCH better. Along with dust collection and a filtration unit I can still work at the lathe.

I bought a slightly used RPB from a friend ( thanks Tim) who got some factory support from another manufacturer. It has been a game changer for me, has been very comfortable, the batteries last longer than I do and it has an awesome chin mounted LED light that goes wherever you look. (Think of a headlamp but worn lower.) The helmet give me protection from about anything that might come off the lathe, the filter or pre-filter lasts for days and days and can be cleaned for re-use. They are not inexpensive, but none of them are and what is your life worth?

I would encourage all to take a look at the manufacturer as you search for possible PAPR systems.

Answering my own question. This looks good and about $30 plus filters. Ace Hardware. I’ll go today and check it out.

Attachments

• IMG_2176.png
    IMG_2176.png
    394.1 KB · Views: 14
That 3M respirator is an excellent piece of equipment, and relatively comfortable to wear for an hour or two. Outstanding protection from sanding dust and chemical vapors, assuming you put the right cartridges on it. I wouldn’t want to wear it all day though.

If you buy one make sure to get the silicone face piece (blue) and not the latex one (grey). The silicone one is more comfortable and won’t break down with exposure to oils from finishes or from your skin. Been there, done that. It’s sticky and gross, and happens surprisingly fast if you use it regularly in hot or humid work environments.

Back