• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A Fix For Torn Grain

This was a bowl I turned with a neighbor interested in seeing the process. I cut the log, mounted between centers and shaped the outside. We were talking about turning as well as other subjects, and it was getting close to dinnertime, so I was going sort of fast. I hadn't sanded it and after the final pass on the outside, I was ready to start the inside.

Near the top on the end grain, I spotted an area of tearout. I had hogged off too aggressively and hadn't fully removed the little pits in the grain. I considered taking another pass or 2, but the idea of texturing a defined area later, seemed like the quicker solution. I made the 2 grooves, then turned to hollowing the inside. In a nutshell, if I had made cleaner cuts, this would've been a very plain bowl.

This a first-time texturing. I had a small ball burr that worked well on side grain, but it burned a bit on end grain. I probably should've waited and given the wood a chance to dry out more. I started with a coat of beige, then a light blue, then finally a darker blue. I sanded lightly and buffed with a 3M pad to reveal some of the deeper colors on the high points.

The neighbor has had a lathe, but hasn't turned a lot. I may have hooked him, he's planning to come to our meeting Saturday.

PXL_20240208_014222757.MP.jpg

Looks great, and good job getting your neighbor interested again. Maybe in time he'll bring someone else into the craft.

I wanted a way to hold a chucked piece for carving. I had bought a #2 morse taper chuck mount, that happened to be 2 pieces-- An aluminum piece with the 1 1/4" x 8 threads, and a steel bar with a taper on each end. I knocked them apart and duplicated the small taper on a scrap of 1" steel bar. I bought this goofy vise on Amazon, but it seems to work pretty well for my needs. Not a bad price ffor those of us penny-pinchers.

PXL_20240210_223423258.jpg

I taped and hot-melt glued the bars together just to see if it would work before machining a new one.

PXL_20240206_173548653.MP.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-10 174436.png

Back