• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Who here does demos, workshops?

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I do demos on how to repair a bowl the Hawaiian way, and I just did a demo on hand chased thread boxes. I do lots of Live remote interactive demos, next week I'm doing one for a Symposium in Argentina. My first demo was how to do a simple bowl with just one gouge, Ellsworth's, and how to cut end grain Koa clean, a challenge for most beginners...

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have been fortunate in being able to pay back what other Woodturners have given to me in a number of places. I've been doing it a while and done demos for clubs, five different regionals, the Smithsonian, and AAW. First demo at AAWwas teaching kids in 2000.

This summer I will be at SWAT.

Regional symposium demos
** Sand carving - also AAW
Natural edge crotch bowl
** 3 The sided napkin rings - also work shop
** Suspended spherical forms
** Ball in a ball - also AAW, WORKSHOP
Natural edge hollow forms - also AAW, workshop
Spheres the easy way - also workshop
** as far as I know I'm the first one ( only one) doing these demos.

Demos for clubs in addition to the above
Hollow ball Christmas ornaments - workshop
NE bowls - workshop
Working with green wood
Ring box
Gouges 101
Using the side grind gouge

Last edited:

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Jamie,

Lauren and I have done many demonstrations, mostly about making and embellishing woodturned jewelry. We used to travel to clubs and have demonstrated at the AAW Symposium. However, we now do these demonstrations remotely, via interactive video. This lets us demonstrate to clubs where we would not normally travel to. I am at a lathe with 3 to 5 cameras, and Lauren is in her studio with 3 cameras. We can see and interact with the audience. We can also do a short talk-back session a month or so later to answer questions that folks have after trying the techniques in their own shop.

The reason I mention this is that when clubs are looking for demonstrators, keep in mind that you are not limited to on-site presentations. In fact, some demonstrators feel they can do a better demonstration from their shop, using their tools.

If people want to discuss remote demonstrations, let's take that to one of the other threads where the topic is already underway.

Website
www.bayberrycrafts.com
I demo for the Central New York Woodturners.
I'm relatively new around here, but I like to demo something they haven't seen before. They usually find a topic that I've never done before and give me a few months to figure it out.
They keep asking me back, so I guess I'm doing ok.

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm with Al. I have gained so much from the AAW so I give back whenever I can. I don't do as many demos now as I used to. I quit driving long distances and don't like to fly anymore so that cut back quite a bit. We have a lot of clubs withing 4 hours of me and I usually hit them all within a 2 year period or so. I do lots of different demos because I turn so many different styles. That's not always a good thing because some of the styles I don't do a lot anymore so it takes several days of prep to get my techniques and memory back. If you want a list of my demos I'll send them to you. I couldn't seem to upload the file here. Just send an email to johnclucas45@gmail.com

I have done a number of demos in the NW. Mostly it is what is covered in my videos, but this month will be doing 'Tool Presentation', kind of a 2 part thing with part one being avoiding catches, and part 2 being high shear angle cuts for cleaner surfaces. I have only done one workshop, which was about bowl turning and had 8 people there. Kind of confusing for me since I am more used to having one or maybe 2 people in the shop at once. Most want to attempt to learn platform sharpening and learn how to use scrapers on bowls. I think I could do one whole demo on shear scraping. I am trying to do more teaching and demonstrating, and less production turning...

robo hippy

In our small club, if our members didn't do demos, we wouldn't have any, so it doesn't mean much. I've demoed making fly rods, boxes, and using the skew. I also learn best when I get my hands on something, so I've helped facilitate several in-house hands-on demos, which have proven very popular, but the expertise comes from our 'mentor' members.

I've done demos on lidded boxes, bowls, square bowls, three cornered bowls, calabash bowls, a demo on the Woodturners Finish from General Finishes, coring demo, and probably one or two more that sort of escape my memory at the moment. I get asked from time to time, but usually there is a good amount of prep work to give a good demo that moves along well, and keeps the troops sufficiently entertained, so I do not go looking for them, but somehow they seem to find me nonetheless!

I have taught/mentored at our Virginia Symposium, and some one on one instruction about pens, natural edge and regular bowls. That only happens when someone from one of our clubs needs a little help and want to drop by for a couple of hours.

I have been asked to do a threading jig demo in the future, so I know that is in the wings sometime, but I have not set a date for that one yet.

I think you're the program chair for your club? In about 6 months, I will stop being program chair for ours. See this page on our club's website http://nmwoodturners.org/programs if you're looking for ideas. We generally twist the arms of our members to convince them to demo. I use the state fair exhibits and the instant gallery as opportunities to find volunteers...

Website
www.woodtreasuresbybreck.com
I do demo's for our local AAW chapter (lighthousewoodturner's) here in MS I have done 2 piece hollow forms, bowl turning, pyrography, piercing, and a few others when asked to. Our demo topics are chosen by our members, at a certain meeting each will list their most desired topics to learn about rating them most desired at the top of their list etc. Then whoever is in charge will determine the topics with the highest number then go with those topics for the year always leaving it open to add of take away in order to get demonstrators for each topic. Work shops are usually done once or twice a year depending on availability of turners to run them,

Thanks, all, for your input. Now, I will reveal the reason for asking. Assuming I'm still the VP Educ. and Training next year (they haven't fired me yet:D), I'm hoping one or two of the people who (a) demo for the Portland AAW Symposium or (b) travel out here to attend might be in the West long enough to stop by our place and do a demo or a workshop. Don't know if it's getting too late (how far ahead are these itineraries set?) but I want to get on it soon. I've been stingy with the 2017 budget just in case we need Big Bucks next year. We've had two paid presenters, and no others scheduled through July.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I'm hoping one or two of the people who (a) demo for the Portland AAW Symposium or (b) travel out here to attend might be in the West ....... Don't know if it's getting too late (how far ahead are these itineraries set?)

The regional symposiums and craft schools book at least 18 months in advance. So the tier 1 demonstrators will be scheduled for 1-3 craft schools and 1-3 regional symposiums in 2018 now.
Another complication is that some turners run a series of workshops at their homes. This blocks out a lot of time where they are not able to travel.

Regarding those coming to Portland, many will be able to add time before of after on a much shorter schedule. Probably find quite a few available at 6 months and later.

Most turners will have time available throughout the year but matching when you want them can be hard.

Our club budgets for 1 professional a year, including a few days of individual workshops. We plan for the professional 18-24 months out (as in I've had the 2018 professional booked for our May 2018 meeting since late 2016, and I want the new program chair to have the 2019 presenter penciled in by mid-2018).

We have some calendar restrictions: Because our workshops are held in a member's garage, we prefer April-May-June and Sept-Oct (avoiding extremes of cold and heat).

btw, if you contact me privately, I'm happy to converse offline about some trials & tribulations of being program chair, and possibly some names of professionals we've had at our club

our small club in Hot Springs Arkansas (www.centralarwoodturners.org) started hosting remote demo's last summer. We've had Alan Zenriech, Lyle Jameson, Trent Bosch, and Mike Mahoney. If your club meets where it has a good internet connection you must try this. I've written an article in this months More Woodturning Online magazine specifically to discuss what I club needs in order to do this. https://www.morewoodturningmagazine.com/articles.php?articlesid=127&access=bb51e4e9a315

I'm posting this on several threads so make sure I reach all clubs who have in interest. I am hoping that I can increase the demand by clubs such that more professional turners will offer these. Our membership loves them. We don't plan on this becoming the norm but sprinkle it in with our own club demos. We'll do 6 this year.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have added a few topics for my demos. I will be doing them for our club in the next few months. I have 6 topics now, there is something for everyone... It's under the demonstration tab at my web site: www.hawaiiankoaturner.com
I have been teaching a few complete beginners, we are now using the Viceroy tool for this, a Hunter tool. The idea is to get them turning fast, in one meeting they finished a project, avoid fear and frustration. There will be lots of time to teach them how to use a bowl gouge later...

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Jaimie, I'm demonstrating for the AAW in Portland this year, and I've been demonstrating and teaching since 2007. I am not a tier-one demonstrator (but hope to be someday :). I would have loved to demo for you and your club, but my schedule simply doesn't allow the extended time to remain in Portland at this late date. Waiting until a couple months before the AAW Symposium, the only ones that could stay might be demonstrators from that area, and were within reasonable driving distance.

I'm demonstrating for 4 Symposiums this year, several weekend demo/workshops for clubs, and a week-long class in October at Snow Farm in the Berkshires of Massachusetts. These have all been on my calendar for more than a year. I am scheduled for 2 Symposiums in 2019 already, and a few weekend demo/workshop, too.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
I'm curious, which regulars here at the forum do demos for their own or other AAW chapters? What are your topics? What about workshops?

I did two hands on demos at the Florida Woodturning Symposium on finial style stemmed thin walled goblet and then finial style stemmed thin walled final box.
I have done demos over the years from natural edged bowl to the off axis staved segmenting pictured in my avatar to off axis triangle boxes like what I saw Cindy Drozda do some years ago in Albany NY. There are others.
I'm trying to make the time to learn how to do remote demos with AlanZ. Just finished my last show for a few months, so I'll be deep in that soon.

Back