• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What's with the Delta 16-42?

There's a Delta 16-42 lathe on local Craig's List, but I'm not finding any info on it. In fact, the Delta website only lists one lathe right now (46-460). What's up with Delta in general, and the 16-40 in particular, anyone know?

Website
www.billbulloch.com
I have a Delta 1642, (Delta 46-755x). It's a good lathe, but not made any more. There are a lot of other Delta lathes out there, but they too are not made anymore. The Delta 46-460 (I have one of those too) is the only lathe Delta is selling now and I don't think they are still making them either. You say: "What's up with Delta in general?" I say: "They are all screwed up." They are selling the 46-460 with a warrant, but do not have the parts on hand to fix them should they break down. If it makes it through the warrantee period without breaking down, then you have a lathe that, when it breaks down, you cannot find "all" the parts for; If it don't make it through the warrantee period and they can't fix it, they return you money. It's gamble for them, but one they have to take to get rid of all the lathes they have on hand -- I call it Fraud.

Sorry the link isn't working for you folks.

Go to Seattle Craigslist and search "Delta 1642" it comes right up for me.

It's a good looking lathe, 1-1/2 hp VFD. Heavy factory stand plus $700 in turning tools and Nova chuck. Listed two days ago for $1200.

Until I read Bill's post it didn't seem like such a bad deal.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Thanks Doug......

Try this link:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tls/5761075056.html

Looks like a good deal to me...........

If I'm not mistaken, that's a sliding headstock, but 1"x8tpi spindle. with all the extras, it's probably a good lathe to get started with......

I think I'll pass. I checked eReplacements.com which has virtually all the parts for my Jet 1236, and they don't carry any for the Delta 1642. Thanks, everyone!

Website
www.billbulloch.com
I think I'll pass. I checked eReplacements.com which has virtually all the parts for my Jet 1236, and they don't carry any for the Delta 1642. Thanks, everyone!

Yes the do Jamie. You must have searched under Delta 1642. Delta 1642 is not a model number. Try a model number like Delta 46-755x or Delta 46-460, etc. They carry a lot of Delta Parts.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
What happened to this thread?!? There was a reply from John Lucas, and another reply from me posted yesterday or the day before, aren't here. Wha'???

There was some data lost due to he hacker attack. The last forum backup before the attack was on Tuesday ... Not sure what time, but probably in the early hours after midnight Monday. This means that several posts were lost that were made during the day on Tuesday. The hatch apparently took place very early on Wednesday morning. The forum was back up and running by mid afternoon on Wednesday. So we lost about one days worth of posts. I noticed that several new posts in the gallery were also lost. If you didn't access the forum until Wednesday afternoon then you missed seeing the hackers handiwork. If you haven't noticed there is an announcement saying that you should change your password ASAP. I recommend using a password that is something more complex than a pet name ... something that has both upper and lower case letters plus numbers plus keyboard symbols like +/#%&@. Make the password at least ten characters.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Here is at least part of John Lucas' post:

In my experience the lathe with Variable Frequency drives maintain much more power at slow speeds. DC motors with controllers really lose power at low motor rpm's. I had to demo 3 days on a Jet mini with variable speed turning bowls. I was extremely frustrated trying to turn an 8" bowl from rough to round. At the lower rpm's you had no power at all. Unfortunately I don't know of any mini lathes that use VFD's. What we call Midi lathes, those that have 12" swing usually have 3/4hp motors and handle the lower speeds much better.

I was working on a reply offline so that is why I have his post. I'm not sue if it is the entire post because I might have selected the part that I wanted to reply to.Since my reply to John doesn't really address your original question and was getting sort of windy, I probably won't bother finishing it.

Here is at least part of John Lucas' post:
I was working on a reply offline so that is why I have his post. I'm not sue if it is the entire post because I might have selected the part that I wanted to reply to.Since my reply to John doesn't really address your original question and was getting sort of windy, I probably won't bother finishing it.

I'm remembering his post about Delta in general, and the woes thereof. I think it might have been a separate post from the one you quoted? No biggie, I decided not to jump on a sinking ship, will hold out for a Jet if I have to take an intermediate step before the Robust.:D:D

Back