• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning at the Mall

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Another advantage of been a 501(C) 3 non profit: The local mall has a program that non profits can go and promote their cause, fundraise, whatever. About 10 of us from the club went yesterday, our second time there, and had a great time. I lost count how many spin tops we made and passed to the kids. We had a lot of them pre made at home... We sold raffle tickets for the Dixie Biggs artwork, sold bowls and boxes. We had our AAW banner and the club trifold brochure with all the info...

Attachments

• IMG_5166.JPG
    IMG_5166.JPG
    420 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1875.JPG
    IMG_1875.JPG
    404.4 KB · Views: 62

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
You have a Mall? All the malls died a long time ago around here. They went to strip malls and now many of the stores in those are closing. I try to by what I can locally but simply can't find it in the 3 towns nearby so you order online. Of course the more I order online the more stores close around here so I guess the future of mom and pop stores doesn't look good. We ordered most of our Christmas online and got all the packages in less than a week. I went to Lowes looking and drove around for 10 minutes looking for parking and then waited in line at the Cash Register for maybe 15 minutes. On the other hand it took me less than 5 minutes to find what I needed online and have it sent directly to the house. I hate that it's going that way but it is.
Now back to demonstrating. We have a local art group that does a show once a year, mostly to sell but we set up and demo. Then the local catholic church has a fall festival and they auction off some things as a fund raiser. We demoed there to raise awareness for the pens we sell to raise money for other charities.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
About 10 of us from the club went yesterday, our second time there, and had a great time. I lost count how many spin tops we made and passed to the kids. We had a lot of them pre made at home...

We, the Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild, demo 2-3 times a year and, like your chapter, makes tops for the kids. We kind of "give them away" in exchange for a donation to either a local food bank or the Craft Emergency Relief Fund, depending on the audience. Our donation box has a sign indicating where the money will go; the amount of donation is completely up to the adult with the kids. This year we sent $125 to the food bank and $750 to CERF. The amounts sent to charities was unusual this year — usually it’s about $250-$350 to each.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
You have a Mall? All the malls died a long time ago around here. They went to strip malls and now many of the stores in those are closing. I try to by what I can locally but simply can't find it in the 3 towns nearby so you order online. Of course the more I order online the more stores close around here so I guess the future of mom and pop stores doesn't look good. We ordered most of our Christmas online and got all the packages in less than a week. I went to Lowes looking and drove around for 10 minutes looking for parking and then waited in line at the Cash Register for maybe 15 minutes. On the other hand it took me less than 5 minutes to find what I needed online and have it sent directly to the house. I hate that it's going that way but it is.
Now back to demonstrating. We have a local art group that does a show once a year, mostly to sell but we set up and demo. Then the local catholic church has a fall festival and they auction off some things as a fund raiser. We demoed there to raise awareness for the pens we sell to raise money for other charities.
We are lucky to have several malls. The tourists like to go shopping, lol

Emiliano,

I got to know some of the folks at one of the Albuquerque science museum (www.explora.us). I convinced them to invite us to participate in their "Adult Night" program; our inaugural visit will be Fri. Jan. 19, 2018.

I'm hoping to have four club members demonstrating at Adult Night, and along with that, accidentally happen to have a few hundred club brochures in my tool bag...

Best,

Hy

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emiliano,

I got to know some of the folks at one of the Albuquerque science museum (www.explora.us). I convinced them to invite us to participate in their "Adult Night" program; our inaugural visit will be Fri. Jan. 19, 2018.

I'm hoping to have four club members demonstrating at Adult Night, and along with that, accidentally happen to have a few hundred club brochures in my tool bag...

Best,

Hy
Way to go!! Congratulations!!

I wish I knew you when I was living on Maui! I went to that Mall once every couple of weeks just to see humans, since I was off-grid there, haha. It would have been awesome to get together. This is great to see, good job with the event!

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I wish I knew you when I was living on Maui! I went to that Mall once every couple of weeks just to see humans, since I was off-grid there, haha. It would have been awesome to get together. This is great to see, good job with the event!
Thats why we started the club, before we didnt get together... Make sure you stop by on your next visit!! Aloha

Back