• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Symposium/Kansas City--who's going?

I'll be there. I fully intend to win the Jet 1221VS in the drawing and bring it back with me :D

Most of the time, I'll be wearing the KC Symposium T-Shirt (whatever the color and logo are this year). If you see me, please say hello (don't say "hi" ;))

Hy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Wish I could go. I really want to see my friends and make new ones but it ain't happening this year. Hope you all have a great time. OH probably won't happen next year either since it's on the west coast unless I win the lottery.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Lauren and I will be there, and invite you all to participate in three rather interesting events.
  • On Thursday night at 7p.m., I am leading a special interest night panel discussion about using live video to share woodturning. I will be bringing in some participants remotely who cannot attend in person. This will cover remote demonstrations (presenting and receiving) as well as those who use Facebook and YouTube for live streaming.
  • On Friday at 2 p.m. we are are volunteering for a great event where folks from the Lighthouse for the Blind are invited to turn pens. This is led by Andi Sullivan (who is a blind woodturner). We have several volunteer woodturners but we still need more (last year over 20 turners helped the guests)
  • I have included some raw footage I shot from last year's event. The turning starts at about the 7 minute mark.
View: https://youtu.be/DpbTnFt1t4c
Kurt Hertzog sent out this notice:​
  • Attendees of the AAW Symposium in Kansas City... Some help needed from those who are attending the AAW Symposium in Kansas City please. We need volunteers to assist with the pen turning session being held for the blind and visually-impaired turners. This turning session will be held on Friday, June 23 right after lunch in the Youth Training area of the Vendor area.If you can assist, please contact Andi Sullivan at 727-688-0520 or andi.sullivan@icloud.com for more information or to volunteer.
  • On Saturday 1:30 p.m. I am member of the Woodturning with Physical Challenges panel (also led by Andi Sullivan). This is a little publicized discussion session, but very important to share experiences of how we adapt to the challenges caused by health issues, incidents, or just getting older. Woodturners come up with some pretty creative solutions that let us extend and enhance our turning, even when faced with physical challenges.
Please come share your experiences!

Last edited:

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
I have never been to a symposium before kinda new to the AAW and a local chapter here in MN I am very excited to be going this year I have just a few hours of volunteering there and hope to meet some new friends.

Marc, you've never been to a Symposium and your first one is going to be the AAW's?? Hang onto your hat, because you're in for a wild ride! Compare it to taking a drink of water from a fire hose :) Just understand that it will be impossible to do and see everything that you want. But you're going to have a blast.

Lauren and I will be there, and invite you all to participate in three rather interesting events.
  • On Thursday night at 7p.m., I am leading a special interest night panel discussion about using live video to share woodturning. I will be bringing in some participants remotely who cannot attend in person. This will cover remote demonstrations (presenting and receiving) as well as those who use Facebook and YouTube for live streaming.
  • On Friday at 2 p.m. we are are volunteering for a great event where folks from the Lighthouse for the Blind are invited to turn pens. This is led by Andi Sullivan (who is a blind woodturner). We have several volunteer woodturners but we still need more (last year over 20 turners helped the guests)
  • I have included some raw footage I shot from last year's event. The turning starts at about the 7 minute mark.
View: https://youtu.be/DpbTnFt1t4c
Kurt Hertzog sent out this notice:​
  • Attendees of the AAW Symposium in Kansas City... Some help needed from those who are attending the AAW Symposium in Kansas City please. We need volunteers to assist with the pen turning session being held for the blind and visually-impaired turners. This turning session will be held on Friday, June 23 right after lunch in the Youth Training area of the Vendor area.If you can assist, please contact Andi Sullivan at 727-688-0520 or andi.sullivan@icloud.com for more information or to volunteer.
  • On Saturday 1:30 p.m. I am member of the Woodturning with Physical Challenges panel (also led by Andi Sullivan). This is a little publicized discussion session, but very important to share experiences of how we adapt to the challenges caused by health issues, incidents, or just getting older. Woodturners come up with some pretty creative solutions that let us extend and enhance our turning, even when faced with physical challenges.
Please come share your experiences!
Hey, that's my face! Also at 7:27 to 7:38, and probably a few times later!

Assisting with Andi Sullivan's group was one of the most rewarding things that I did (heck, that I have ever done!). I hope to be able to help again, depending on how smoothly the video volunteer work goes. Thanks, Alan, for all your hard work! I didn't realize it was you with the video camera!

Hy

Chuck Lobaito

AAW Board Member
We can't come this year due to my work schedule. I have a board meeting on Monday following the symposium and could not get back on time. My wife and daughter are bummed.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
We finished our bowls today. This was a fun little project. Can't wait to see what people bring.

Beautiful BOC boxes.

Not going to make it this year. I do have 6 BOC bowls ready for local use and 7 more in finishing stages.

I feel like a bum. I didn't make any BOC boxes last year because I had my right arm in a sling ... rotator cuff surgery. Same story again this year. The surgery last year didn't heal so two weeks ago I had the pleasure of starting over from scratch on rotator cuff surgery. I have to wear the sling for about a month longer. When I get out of that miserable sling, I'm going to pour DNA and any other flammable stuff that I have all over it and take great pleasure in watching it go up in smoke.

devil.jpg

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
I will fly in next Monday because I have family up in St. Joe (where the Pony Express began and Jesse James ended), about 60 miles north... Then down for the fun times...

robo hippy

Looking forward to seeing you Reed! Will you be selling RoboRests, etc. in the Trade Show next week?

Looking forward to seeing you Reed! Will you be selling RoboRests, etc. in the Trade Show next week?
Yup, it is a 'business' trip..... Fun as well. As I say to those who don't know, "I will be hanging out with 1500 to 2000 wood-aholics and tool-aholics from around the world for the weekend'.......

See you there.

robo hippy

Back