• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Spalted Myrtle?

Recently, I acquired a new to me lathe. Pics attached. At the time I had the option of buying just the lathe or all of the turning related items in the shop. I went with the package deal. The previous owner gave me a good price and I gladly paid. After we struck the deal the seller asked if I was interested in a pile of turning blanks he had in storage. I jumped at that as well and took home a crate of mixed wood blanks. However; there was a catch. He said I could have them at no extra cost if I used one blank (his choice) to turn him a bowl and one blank to make him a platter. There obviously was no hesitation. So herein I have posted a couple of pics of the bowl I am turning for him. I should also add that when he gave it to me, the owner said the blank was Myrtle. I have never before turned Myrtle let alone seen it. By looking at the photos, can you tell me if you think I am seeing spalting or is this a typical looking piece of Myrtle?
There are some badly pitted areas and the blank is not cooperating. Mounted Bowl.JPG VL 300 View 1.JPG VL 300 View 2.JPG Myrtle Bowl Out Pic 1.JPG Myrtle Bowl Out Pic 2.JPG Myrtle Bowl Inside.JPG

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Yes, you are seeing spalting there. If you can catch it at the right time, spalting can greatly add to the beauty and character of the wood. Spalting is a rotting process, and the wood gets softer as a result. When that progresses to an unusable degree, it's impossible to get a nice clean cut......and, the only thing that can save it, is a great amount of sanding, if it can be saved at all. If the wood had some spectacular grain, that might make me want to try harder in getting something out of it, but personally, I wouldn't bother with that particular piece.

You might want to consider telling the guy who sold you your lathe, that the spalting is too pronounced, and pick out another piece for the project.

The Vicmarc 300 lathe is a great lathe......I think you're going to love it! :D

-----odie-----

if the blank is very dry like the blank is several years old....it will be very hard to get a good cut and su r face....great lathe....love the outboard tool rest.....start small get acquainted with your lathe

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
There are some threads on working with splatted wood.
In spalted wood the fibers are not tightly connected which allows them to be pulled and tear rather than be cut on a smooth surface.

You can often get clean cuts by using a thin shellac which will stiffen the fibers allowing a cut.
It is important to use sharp tools, ride the bevel, and take light cuts.
Avoid scraping as it generally does nit work well with spalted wood

The patch I see on the interior would likel do much better with shellac mixed with twice the alcohol.
minor spaltingncan often be cut by just wetting the area with water which swells the fibers and allows then to be cut.

If you see a ring it is likely due to coming off the bevel

Last edited:
Well, I have turned a lot of Myrtle/California Bay Laurel. That type of coloration and pattern I would say is pretty much rot, and not spalting. Very difficult to get clean cuts when it is that soft. Very light cuts, and if you can, use a fine honed edge for the cuts. I cheat and have 600 and 1000 grit CBN wheels.

robo hippy

Charlie, this blank was purchased in 2002 by the guy that gave it to me. It has been sitting on a high shelf in his garage since then. He rough turned it as soon as he received it and sat it up there. I live in Whitehorse Yukon and it is very dry up here. I suspect your correct.
Thanks for the responses and I am going to try and salvage this.

Back