"Slide Gloves" and black plastic tape.........

Discussion in 'Newbie' started by odie, May 18, 2017 at 8:40 AM.

1. odie

odie

When you want to have ultimate friction free sliding on your final delicate precision cuts, these cotton "slide gloves" against the plastic tape is a real boon. One finger is left longer, so that it makes better contact
    with the black plastic tape.....
    . IMG_2802.JPG IMG_2803.JPG IMG_2804.JPG

2. John Torchick

John Torchick

Good idea but I'm not an advocate of gloves of any type around machinery under power. IMHO, gloves around machinery and sandals in the shop are a no-no.

Regis Galbach likes this.
  3. odie

odie

Thanks, John.......I guess you'll never know the advantages these slide gloves, along with the black plastic tape can provide when searching for a tool finish that can start sanding at a very fine grit. I think I'll continue to use this advantage.

I do wholeheartedly agree about the sandals, though.....but not for the same reasons. It's just that I can't stand sawdust and shavings mingling with the little poets! I'll bet you didn't know my toes were poets, did you?.......they are Longfellows! :rolleyes:.....:D

-----odie-----

Last edited: May 18, 2017 at 10:59 AM
  4. John Torchick

John Torchick

ode, that joke is older than me. :cool: Once I dropped an Xacto knife point first on my foot. Even though I had leather shoes on, the point pierced the shoe and hit a small vein. Had a time getting the bleeding to stop.
    Edit: I went back and looked at the pictures and I understand what you are doing. The gloves are nowhere near the piece or machinery parts. Took me some time. Getting slow in my old age?

odie likes this.
  5. odie

odie

While we're on the subject of gloves, I thought I'd show you these. They have a rubberized surface, and are cheap from Harbor Freight. I've found they are very good for getting a good solid grip on the angle head drills I use for my sanding operations. The finger tips have been cut off........
    IMG_2807.JPG

-----odie-----

6. Ely Walton

Ely Walton

Hi all! I am not a safety nerd, but one point from above resonated with me... sandals in the shop. I tend to wear my Tevas everywhere about nine months out the the year. But when I work in the shop, I bite the bullet and put on socks and my Reebok sneakers. While they are not leather or steel-toed, that vinyl outer layer is my first defense between a dropped chisel and my skin. (And the original post about gloves is a great idea -- I have been using an older mountain biking glove to keep shavings from wearing away the side of my left hand during heavy roughing.) Thanks for all your wisdom and tips here!

Ely