• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Quietning lazy susan bearings

I'm working on several lazy susan''s with metal bearing rings. They sure do seem to be loud. I bought them at Woodcraft if that makes a difference. Any suggestions on what to do to quite or at least dampen the noise? Thanks!

Last edited:
Website
www.zachlaperriere.com
You might try a specialty cabinet supply shop. There are crazy products out there you aren't going to find in most outlets.

I redid my kitchen with some amazing drawer sliders...may not be to code, but they are rated to 500 pounds, lock in the out position, and I built steps into the backs of the drawers to access high shelves on an opposite wall. The sliders are normally put into ambulances and utility trucks, but they work great. I would have never know about them if I didn't call my cabinet supply shop.

My dealer was A&H Turf in Montana. With some volume, I got wholesale prices.

It's 'gonna cost you.
Do some Googling and you will find better lazy susan rings.
I once made a black lacquered pedestal for an antique collector to display some outrageously expensive silver bowl. He wanted nothing but the best-- so I had a piano refinisher to the lacquering-- but I also got a buttery smooth susan from someplace expensive.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
How much are you willing to spend? Rockler Hardware has THIS ONE for $79.99. I ave seen them in the local Rockler's, but never had a need for one quite that nice. I think that it has about 256 steel balls which is a lot more than the ones made of stamped steel plates. If you want it to run even quieter, the steel balls can be removed and replaced with 5/16" Delrin acetal resin ball bearings from McMaster-Carr (9614K57) and costs about seven dollars for a package of one hundred. Delrin is harder than Nylon and has a naturally slippery surface and good wear resistance. Here is a YouTube video that I came across showing how to replace the balls in that bearing. It's not a great video, but good enough to show how it is done.

I just found a Lazy Susan bearing on Amazon that appears to be the same style as the one that Rockler Hardware sells except it is 12" diameter compared to the 17" diameter of the Rockler model, but the price is only $21.98. For even better prices, go straight to the source, VXB Bearings.

Back