1. Join the Go-To Source for Woodturners!

Please read the new sticky announcement here for full details.

Dismiss Notice

Purchasing a new bandsaw

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Breck Whitworth, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Breck Whitworth

Breck Whitworth Sharp Dressed Woodturner

Home Page:
    I need some advice from bowl turners who round heavy thick wet blocks with their bandsaw. I have an old 14" bandsaw and it is fine for the smaller stuff. What I need is a new bandsaw with a wide deck low enough to reach with heavy wet blanks ( example: 19" square x 9" thick ) I need to be able to reach the deck with these heavy blanks and then have a machine that can round these massive wet blanks for turning; other wise, I feel about beat to death after rounding and preparing these huge pieces for coring after chainsawing them somewhat round. expense is of course a factor, but I expect to pay for a good machine. Just need to hear from a few of you other minor bowl production turners. Thanks

2. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

I built an extension table the same height as the bandsaw table that I can clamp to it. It makes it much easier to cut a bigger blank on my 14 inch Grizzly. Another thing I did it change the belt to the low speed pulley to help with the bogging down problem. As far as getting the wood up to the saw, I use my hand truck to swing it up off the ground then its a deadlift from there.

3. Horsepower and a suitable blade are critical for cutting thick bowl blanks. Save your money until you can purchase a bandsaw with a lot of horsepower. I have a MiniMax 16 with 4.8 hp motor. It cuts thick bowl blanks with ease. - John

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  4. robo hippy

robo hippy Barely Scraping By

Bandsaw tables are pretty bad, most being way too small, and in general designed to cut curved forms rather than log blanks. This means that unless you build extension tables (outfeed table, and wider away from the blade, an infeed table gets in the way, but you could make a small extension) you have to support the blanks. I have a Laguna 16HD with a 4.5 hp Baldor motor. I can slice one side/face of a blank flat first, and then slab them up with ease. I use a 1 1/4 by 3/4 inch apart teeth for slabbing. That blade isn't too good for cutting rounds, but you can nibble down the edges pretty well. With the chainsaw chopsaw (there is a video) I built. I seldom cut slabs on my bandsaw any more, and just use it for rounding off corners. These bandsaws are in the $3,000 range, but worth every penny. Depends on how much you are going to use it. Getting slab sides parallel is huge in time saved from roughing. More so than cutting circles.

robo hippy

5. hockenbery

hockenbery AAW Advisor Staff Member

Home Page:
    I have a Laguna 16HD too great saws.

My saw has a nice sized table. But for big heavy blanks

A valuable tool in my shop is a hydraulic table. It is a flatbed cart where to top elevates to with a foot pump connected to the hydraulics.

The table get a little lower than my hand truck so easy to move wood to the table top from the hand truck.
    Pump it up Levek with the bandsaw table lock the wheels and I have a Huge auxullary table for the band saw.

Clamp 2x4s to the top and the blank have be elevated to mount it in the lathe.

6. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

I also have a 16" minimax. It replaced my 14" Delta with riser block. It is so much easier to control the wood on that thing. I purchased mine used which ideally would be the way to get one. We have a 16" Jet at the shop where the club meets. It makes more noise when running than my Minimax but seems to work just fine.

7. Dusty Ward

Dusty Ward

I have similar questions as Breck, however I have just purchased the new 18" jet bandsaw. My questions would be more directed to the extension tables some of you all have mentioned. Does anyone have any pictures of their setups?

8. olaf Vogel

olaf Vogel

Home Page:
    Might be overkill, but for $200 I couldn't pass it up. ;)

MacGregor BS.jpg

If the blank doesnt fit on there, then I dont bother.
    Just mount it up and use the Turbo plane to take off the corners.

Attached Files:

charlie knighton likes this.
  9. charlie knighton

charlie knighton

watch Craig list and be prepared to travel....there are some big machines out there....a shop teacher had one that went begging in his estate.....I just do not do that big of stuff.....I will see Terry the 13th.....he may know who got it.....19 x 9 no problem

10. Breck Whitworth

Breck Whitworth Sharp Dressed Woodturner

Home Page:
    I appreciate all the replies guys, seems the wisdom I am getting is to save up enough to get a serious bandsaw. I would love it if a couple of you gentlemen who have built a wooden extension table for your bandsaw could post a few pictures like Dusty wanted also. By the way the reason I wanted a better bandsaw is more horse HP and a table large enough to put a block on and cut the blank round. At the present time all my heavy and very large blanks are rounded by cutting off the corners with my chainsaw.

11. Marshall Sadler

Marshall Sadler

That is an amazing find Olaf. What is a turbo plane, another name for a chainsaw?

12. Mike Peace

Mike Peace

Home Page:
    There is a lot variation in the table size on a BS. I bought an 18 Rikon and it has one of the largest tables for a big BS. It is larger than a Jet or Grizzley.

13. olaf Vogel

olaf Vogel

Home Page:
  14. charlie knighton

charlie knighton

it's not to hard building a bandsaw table.....I found plans somewhere on internet......bought bandsaw @ estate sale and added riser arm.....it's offbrand Asian machine.....I think the arm was a delta model.....it fit.....it cuts dry wood better than wet.....and the thicker pieces sometimes are not straight.....did this when I first started turning.....scared me one time....did not use for good while......think things out before you start.......makes a great place for odds before you need to put them away so you can use it....used 1 inch plywood

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  15. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Yea my 16" Mini max has a pretty good table but it needs an extension. I like to resaw logs into longer thicker stock like 6x6x24" etc. Very hard to do by your self. I'm going to make a table extension that swings down when not in use. I also think while I am doing that I will add about 6" to the width of my table to more easily handle rounding larger blanks. I have the angle iron to build it it. I want it to be easily removable so I'm going to build the parts that fasten to the saw with angle iron and may build the fold up legs out of it also.

16. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

Peachtree Woodworking has a few accesories for bandsaws including the table extensions. I looked at the extension table they had set up in the store, I think it was made by Carter. I ultimately decided to build my own but bought the log sled.
    https://www.ptreeusa.com/bandsaw_tables.htm

17. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

You could always start off with a large 24" x 24" piece of plywood or aluminum and bolt it down
    to the bandsaw table and build whatever fences and guides from there.

18. olaf Vogel

olaf Vogel

Home Page:

19. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

We may all know this but others reading posts may not---when cutting wet wood you need a blade intended for that purpose . I use a 3TPI skip tooth that at local industrial supplier makes up for about $9 each. They do not last as long as the Timberwolf but I come out ahead financially. Also Highland has a nice woodturners blade.

20. Bill Weaver

Bill Weaver

Breck , as far as the lifting there is an answer. Harbor Freight has an electric hoist that handles 400/800 lb. works off of 110v. I bought one several years ago never have used it in that form. I'm going to make a frame to attach this so I can lift into the back of truck via an inverter and then when I get home I can plug into wall and unload. Still have to figure out how I'm going to get it to work in garage.