• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Potpourri lids larger than 3"........?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I've purchased a dozen of these pewter potpourri lids from CSUSA, and I like them.....except they're only 3" in diameter. Anyone know where I can purchase similar lids a bit larger? Thanks......

-----odie-----

ts_pew_pot_lid_blu_bel.jpg

il_570xN.904212776_aqa4.jpg

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
I used a 1900s silver plate on nickel silver flower frog from a Sterling bowl. It's about 6 inches across. I thought about replacing the original finial with a wooden one... still thinking about it. I painted it black because the plating was worn through and a little pitted in places and snap fit it to this avocado square bowl. There are not a lot of them out there, but they can be found.IMG_20160909_221354432.jpg IMG_20160909_221326897.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160909_221326897.jpg
    IMG_20160909_221326897.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Or you can cast pewter really easily
It melts at around 450 degrees. A torch will melt it.
I use a cheap melting pot for lead used by folks who cast bullets or sinkers.
You can pour it directly on the wood then turn it.
If you pour it on the wood you need a dove tail or something to hold it in place as the pewter won't stick to the wood.

You can make molds from bondo and cast many similar pieces.
Casting sand makes great detail.

The pecan gavel below was half experiment half gift for an HOA president.
The 3 rings on the handle and one around the head were cast by wrapping cardboard from a cherrios box around the wood the with a spew (sort of cardboard funnel) leading Into the wrapped around cardboard.
Pour molten pewter into the spew until it is full. Let cool. The let it cool some more..cut the filled spew section off with a hacksaw. Turn the pewter. I
Used a spindle gouge riding the bevel. I sandblasted around the letters and the rings on the handle.
Letting isn't great but the recipient was pleased.

I learned enough from demos by Keith Larent at our club and the Florida symposium
and by Lee Carter at the Rocky Mountain Woodturner's
Also John Wessels will be doing pewter casting demos at the AAW this weekend.

Rule number one hot metal looks just like cold metal. Google casting pewter.
Or catch a good demo.

IMG_1025.JPG
IMG_1026.JPG

Back