• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pendant Light Shades... Cool or Fire Hazard?

I've gotten a few requests recently to turn a few pendant Light Shades. Do any of you have experience with this? I know they are out there already, but over a standard bulb, I see these being a hazard/ liability to the producer (me). Paired with an LED bulb no worries. But I'm not building the entire light, just the shade. What is your take?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I did a test one day with wood very near an incandescent light bulb. I don't remember all the details of how close I was or what size bulb but do remember it wasn't a concern. I had the same concern you do and that's why I did that. It wouldn't take any time at all to do a test of your own.

Cypress+1+LED+Light+Mini+Pendant.jpg

this is simular to what has been requested Bill. This particular version is LED.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if you test it yourself with the LED or CFL, you have no guarantee that someone will put something else in the light fixture. Personally, I would shy away from it. We have a fellow that builds and repairs lamps and light fixtures her in town. Been considering turning some lamp bases for him and let him build the actual lamp or fixture. Liability would be his to deal with. Keep in mind, though, that you can get DIY lamp kits as places like Lowe's. BTW, if you go through with the project, we would love to see pictures. Hint. Hint.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks for the picture, Rusty. The flash point of wood is about 575 degrees Fahrenheit so it isn't going to catch on fire. However, catching on fire might be preferable to what is likely to occur. Any finish that you put on the wood such as varnish or lacquer is going to darken until it is eventually an dark ugly brown if somebody puts a high wattage tungsten bulb in the fixture. With all of the trapped heat, the wood will warp and probably also develop some ugly cracks.

A much more sensible approach would be to make a lampshade that is open on both ends and has some separation from the lightbulb.

Website
www.bayberrycrafts.com
I worked for a lighting fixture manufacturer for a long time. Designed some fixtures and had to deal with UL to get them approved.
Fire is a concern on a fixture like that....even if it was not wood (we dealt with glass shades).
Even with LED or CFL lamps (bulbs are the glass part...lamps are what lights up :)) the head build up when it is trapped is higher than you think.
If you do make this type of lamp, I would include some venting holes near the top of the shade to allow the heat to escape (heat goes up).

Back