• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Thomas DiBuono

Recently retired and exploring the world of woodturning and woodworking. Finally have the time do immerse myself in a hobby that I have loved for many years and looking forward to learning from the veteran woodturners.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Jet and Delta both have good midi lathes. Midi means mid size between mini lathes and full size lathes. Mini lathes typically have a swing of 10 inches. Midi lathes usually have a swing of 12' or sometimes 14". Full size lathes have a swing from about 14" and up.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Welcome Thomas.........

You also might want to hang out on your local Craig's List to see what comes up.....sometimes, some very good bargains on nice lathes come up. (Also, a lot of junk! :eek:) I've heard others mention their local turning clubs are also a good source of good quality used lathes.

Good luck! :D

ko

Welcome to the forum. Former resident of Queens, NY from 1962 to 1965. I retired in 2009 and never regretted it. The wife retired last summer. Busier now than when we were working.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Thomas,

Welcome to the vortex.

I live in northern NJ, about 18 miles from you. If you come to my area, I will be happy to have you visit.

As someone else mentioned, the Totally Turning event is at the end of this month, and would be quite an experience for you. Lauren and I go every year.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Thomas,
Welcome,
The Jet 1221vs goes on sale once or twice a year for under $800 without the legs
You should get a better idea of what features you want after your class.

In our area the are frequent sales of used 10" mini lathes for under $200.
This is a good way to start and when you get a bigger lathe you can likely sell it to another newbie for about what you pay for it.
Al

I know of several clubs that lease out the lathes the club owns to members.
Most club members will usually have or know of someone that has a lathe available for sale.

Back