• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Magnetic Oil Holder

If I'm going to finish a small piece with mineral oil, I'll also sand with it - acts as a lubricant and doesn't generate any dust. I'm sure pretty much everyone knows that. My problem is that I've knocked my cup of oil onto the shop floor several times. Glenn Lucas posted a tip on his site - dropping a small magnet into the cup so it stays on the bed. I think I have a small improvement: I now use 4" magnetic parts holders, like this one at Harbor Freight. I also use them in our classroom - no more spills!

Now all you need is a lid, like an oil can lid, back when they made them metal. Might be able to match one up at the home detour, Lowes or maybe ace in the container section.

Canning jar lids, the solid type not the loose center part would be small steel open containers to hold a small amount of liquid. Now don't spill as you pour into the lid.

Stu

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Or an olive oil can. Any restaurant supply place. Walmart or target.

Back