• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

live remote demo's

Our club wants to entertain some live remote demo's. I know Lyle Jameson can do them and we will probably talk to him at some point, but I'd need help in finding some others. Who else offers this method of demonstrations?

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Dave,

Lauren and I have done and promoted this kind of demonstration, to very good reviews.

I have been mentoring Lyle and several other woodturners and clubs on ways to present and receive remote demonstrations.

If you like, I can post a link to the session I did at the AAW Sympoium 2016 where I introduced the concept and showed examples of how it can be done. I will be hosting a panel discussion at the next symposium where demonstrators and club members will discuss their experiences... I will also bring in participants remotely to join in the discussion.

If you would like information about the demos that Lauren and I do, please contact me by private message.

Dave,

Lauren and I have done and promoted this kind of demonstration, to very good reviews.

I have been mentoring Lyle and several other woodturners and clubs on ways to present and receive remote demonstrations.

If you like, I can post a link to the session I did at the AAW Sympoium 2016 where I introduced the concept and showed examples of how it can be done. I will be hosting a panel discussion at the next symposium where demonstrators and club members will discuss their experiences... I will also bring in participants remotely to join in the discussion.

If you would like information about the demos that Lauren and I do, please contact me by private message.
not sure how to send a private message, but i did start a "conversation" between us. perhaps that is what you meant?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
not sure how to send a private message, but i did start a "conversation" between us. perhaps that is what you meant?

They're the same thing. On the old vBulletin forum the terminology was Private Message and on the Xenforo forum software that we are using now, the term is "Conversation", but they mean the same thing. The term "private" shouldn't be taken too seriously. It doesn't mean that it is encrypted, it just means that other honest people can't see the messages.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Dave, yes on this platform it's called a conversation... I replied. Thanks.

I know it's only been a week but surely there are some others who do remote demos. I was disappointed when I contacted the AAW directly and they said they could not supply a list.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I know it's only been a week but surely there are some others who do remote demos. I was disappointed when I contacted the AAW directly and they said they could not supply a list.
Dave,
This is relatively new.
Developing a list of remote demo providers should be of interest to the POP comittee.
Trent Bosch has done remote demos and is one of the pop comittee members.
It is something they might add to the POP data base.

The have a meeting in June. I will send you a conversation.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
A database of demonstrators is under development by the AAW. When it becomes available, it will include information as to whether demonstrations are available remotely.

It's been 9 months since I started this thread. Our club has now hosted three remote demos. Alanz, Trent Bosch, and Lyle Jamieson have all done a great job for us. This format has been overwhelmingly approved of by our membership and we are actively looking for more turners who can do these demos. We have Mike Mahoney scheduled in a few months and I just sent a request to get Emiliano Achaval this summer. I am disappointed that there are so few turners offering this option, but am confident the number will grow. If anyone knows of anyone else doing these, please contact me. Our club is ready!
20180210_094618.jpg

Back