• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet 1642 shuts down

Help! I have a Jet 1642 wit a 1.5 hp motor over ten years old. I always been able to stall the motor by taking deeps cuts on a large bowl. Normally I just back off and the motor keeps going. Lately the motor shuts down, I have to turn the switch off and back on to get it started again. The more I use it the easier it shuts down, even with very little load on the motor. Is there a thermo limiter going bad?

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
There are a number of things that could be the cause of the problem, but it would be helpful to know more information. First, which pulley speed range are you using? For the greatest mechanical output power as well as torque, you should use the low speed range for everything except for small stuff like pens and bottle stoppers. Second, what is the approximate spindle speed when the problem occurs? The power is lowest at slower motor speeds. That particular lathe model with 1.5 HP motor is pretty wimpy on power anyway, but if you happened to have the drive belt on the high speed range and had the speed control dialed way down, that would be the worst case scenario for bogging the motor down.

Based on your indication that the performance has been degrading over a long period of time, i would suspect that the motor is dying. My opinion is that particular motor is marginal for inverter duty, especially if you push it to the limit at slower speeds and even worse if the drive belt is in the high speed range. Running the motor slow and under heavy load for extended periods is bad because the motor will get very hot due to inadequate cooling. The other factor is that because of the way that inverters operate, the voltage to the motor will have high voltage transient spikes riding on top of the supply voltage. The more heavily that the motor is loaded down, the greater the amplitude of these transient spikes. These spikes can easily exceed 1000 volts and eventually cause internal arcing in the motor windings. The classic symptom for this kind of internal arcing failure is a gradual decrease in motor performance typically over a period of many months. The effect can be so subtle that it might go on for a while before a problem is suspected.

If the motor has a thermal overload switch, it is also possible that the thermal switch is defective. Whether it can be replaced is unknown to me. Often low cost motors aren't designed to be repaired. These days, "low cost" is sort of a euphemism fur a motor that retails for under about $500. :D:eek: If you want sticker shock, look at the cost of industrial motors. :rolleyes:

Diagnosing a problem over the Internet is mostly guessing and speculating and wild haired ideas so it would be best to contact Jet to see what they have to say. Arbitrarily replacing parts can be an expensive way to solve the problem.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
One other thing is that inverters often have overload and fault sensing circuitry. It might be detecting a real problem or a false alarm. Jet tech support should be able to help you troubleshoot that issue.

Website
lindquiststudios.com
It could be a capacitor or capacitors in the VFD going bad. Gradual decline in performance can indicate that. Without technical skill and experience that's probably not something you'd want to try fixing at home. I agree that a call to Jet tech support is the thing to do. But first, probably quit using the lathe until you get some answers and or repairs.

Back